On board battery chargers

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by metalman, Sep 8, 2005.

1. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Check out the Xantrex on board chargers. www.xantrex.com They aren't cheap but are very good. I have the 20+ model (3batteries) on my boat and it does a superb job. Whichever one you choose, if you are on a budget be sure to check the wiring requirements (including in-line fuses, lugs, terminals, shrinkwrap etc.) before you buy. Also, consider a110v receptacle for the boat. They are really handy. All I have to do is plug the ext. cord into the built in receptacle in the back of the boat and walk away. If your batteries are far apart one of the wire runs will have to be a heavier gauge. The wiring alone cost me another $150 on top but I did go with marine grade tinned copper. This may have been a bit of overkill but cheap nasty wiring will prevent any charger from doing a good job...W

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    YO,take a look at Dual Pro.Better yet go to west marines site and read up on OB chargers.Cabelas has good ones in their catalog also.You might want to reconsider your battery choice also but I'm sure your budget drives the train there.Trojan makes the best wet cell batteries IMO with the most running time and reserve amps.

3. miner

miner New Member

State:
    Sulligent, Alabama
    Guest makes a onboard battery charger for a boat. Check them out. I have had one on my boat for three years. No problems. Two bank around $100 and I believe are waterproof. Bass pro has them.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Yes, you do have a very good point. I guess I am spoiled, there is plenty of dry area on my boat, if the charger got wet it would be time to be calling the Coast Guard!...W

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use a Dual Pro on board charger, it has 2 banks at 10 amps, and is completely waterproof and with a 3 year warranty, here is their add on basspro

Onboard Chargers: The marine standard for the last 11 years. All Dual Pro chargers are 100% waterproof, lightweight and compact, and equipped with advanced self-adjusting microprocessors plus every safety feature imaginable. No mounting restrictions and no risk of overcharging, ever. Full ignition protection; reverse polarity protection; automatic temperature compensation; fully independent outputs. Mfrs. 3-Year Warranty.
    SE Series Smaller than comparable chargers; 10 amps per bank.