On board bait and livewells...

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by photocat, May 24, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Anyone have an idea for an enclosed bait well that will live on the boat im working on (project boat, needs alot of work but will be worth it once im done)... also looking to put in a livewell large enough for 5-25+lb fish for next year on the tournament series. I was thinking maybe 50 or 60 gallons

The things i've looked at so far:
    Bait- BPS has a 26 gal oblong bait well made of plastic that looks good but at $100/well i don't know that its worth it (was going to build a box for it in the back and put seat cushions on to give extra seats while we fish for that). I've also considered a couple of 150qt coolers with dividers in it to seperate bait and catch

Livewell- BPS has a 50 gal fuel tank(demensions around 48x15x20") that if i cut the top out a bit and put on a lid for it, seems like it would work fairly well for the livewell but the cost is again higher then i want to spend at $200 plus shipping. Also the same cooler idea as for the bait well...

All of these are with adequete pumpage for each....

Anybody got some cheaper (in cost not nessessarily quality) ideas for me so i can have a good livewell and bait system?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Don't have any bright ideas for you, but just a reminder that water weighs 8 lbs per gallon - make sure your boat is up to the task of carrying all that weight around if you're thinking of a huge livewell!

3. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Mr.T, I am waiting on your review on Ed's bait tank before I order mine. How is it doing for you? Boog

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Waiting on clearance from Paul to post a review - don't want to go to the trouble if it'll just get deleted as being an "advertisement." I've used the tank a couple of times and have some opinions so will share them if I can.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    what's this ed's bait tank?

and i know about the 8 lbs/ gal of water... The boat im gonna be putting this all in, is a 14 ft trihull (fiberglass) so im not extremely worried about it (it'll be a total of about 800 lbs + me and fishing partner + fish so around 1400 lbs... the boat should be able to hold it, if it can't then i'll just have to find smaller bait wells or just fill one at a time)