On a river....how far to cast?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Spock, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm a shorefisherman without a depth finder.

Ok, so on lake or pit fishing, my strategy is to cast out with a weight and no hook and to retrieve it until I can find a deep ledge, then cast out 2 lines: one on top of the ledge and one at the bottom.

But what about a river? This has always bothered me. If I walk up to a straight part of a river (ie no bends), do I cast right by the shore, out in the middle, or somewhere in between? Does it change if the currents up or down?

Thanks,

-Spock

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    good post if there are no bends close gonna be hard .heres a tip look for sand or gravel on the bank. such as a sand bar which runs out in the water on the down river side there will be deeper water on the same side or just across the end of the bar. also on a calm river look for lil waves bouncing up and down these are called ripples. most of the time right down river will be deep water .if river not to big try your weight trick at these places

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    With me, it depends on the time of year also. In spring, the cats come into the shallow. Right now, I try to cast into the channel of the river wher all the big channels and stripers are:wink:

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i just fish cover if its over 2 foot deep theres a good possibility of a fish being in it.

5. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thanks for the help guys. I guess I should also mention that I fish very small rivers. Some locals have recommended to just quit thinking so hard about it and to just cast out in the middle and be done with it. That's just so hard for me b/c I could be casting in the middle of nowhere. I suppose a fishfinder would help.

So far it sounds like fishing in the deep parts of the river is best until the nighttime during the spring when the fish come up shallow to eat. And unfortunately I can't fish structure in the river because the only way I'll find it is if I get caught up on it lol.

Also...when the spring comes it was mentioned that I should fish shallow...just how far off the bank is shallow, or how many feet? People have told me to do this before but it goes against all instinct for me to just drop my bait off a few feet from me like I'm fishing with a cane pole. I'm sure it's all in my head.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    heres what works for me go check out the river when its LOW read the terrein and look for snags in the water and out of the water. look at the banks steep slopes meen deeper water flater means showller look for cut outs and humps and drop offs on the bank, then go to www.thetent.com and watch for your river to come up then hit the water go to the spots you scouted when it was low you will be able to tell the drop offs humps and cuts by swirling water cast there. the current from high water may pe a pain on you but the fish see it as feeding time.:cool2:

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish a small river too.. In a straight with no bends look for any small creek mouths, cut ins to the bank or any type of structure.. Also watch for any bait fish to break the top of the water.. I myself would not fish the dead center of the channel.. I would fish just at the edge of the slope. If there is fish in the area they will find it.. Also a member mentioned things called ripples.. This is also another good thing to look for.. Most of the time it is cause by an object redirecting the current which creates and awsome spot to catch channels.. They will sit down stream just behind these ripples waiting for small baitfish to get caught off gaurd by the sudden change in current... Also.. If you see a very low current where you think it should be faster its a good chance there a deep hole there and theres a pretty good chance it holds fish...
    I hope this gives you a little more insight on what you are looking for

8. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Walk the bank a little and see if you can find a spot that causes a natural rotation on top of the water. This will show you a hidden rise under the water. But most of the time all it takes is a good bait on the channel side and the fish will come to it.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The fish need a reason to be there...a stretch of river that is essentially a featureless ditch won't hold them...they will travel until they find something they like. That something is anything that disrupts the flow of water...a snag, a rock, a gravel bar...all of these things will collect sediment on the upstream side, and the downstream side will have a scour hole. It may not look like much, but can hold one or two fish. As others have noted, the appearance of the water's surface tells you that something is down below, disturbing the otherwise smooth flow.

For the most part, these features are temporary, changing with every high water event. The river will rearrange itself, like a woman moving furniture. What this means is, every trip is a scouting trip. What worked last week may not work today. Listen to the river.

One more point: a small, clearwater creek is a great classroom, because you can see all of the features and what causes them. No matter whether it's a roadside ditch or the Mississip, the rules of hydraulics still apply.

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana

Simple and easy.. This was a very good post.. Some reason it hit home... Thanks

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Another point to make; catfishing is somewhat unique because catfish hunt more with their 'noses' than other fish. so something smelly and bleeding might draw catfish from a long ways off; espacially blues and channels.

while thrown into some thick snag is one way to catfish (and if you do it go for HEAVY gear)... another way is to look for some place near currrent, where the smell will follow drift downstream. river eddys often form at the beginning of a hole, and catfish can be found roaming in the hole; at night they are on the prowl looking for food.

get your bait near the shore side of the top of this eddy and you might catch catfish on the prowl throughout the hole.

this is current 'structure' and not fallen trees, etc, and it might take a little bit of a throw... (not just dropping it at your feet like you might with a cane pole).