Omaha catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by catseeman, May 11, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hello, Ilive in Indiana but maybe working around Omaha in a week or two.
    Just wondering how the cat fishing is ?
    I have never been around there before.
    Would appreciate any information such as rivers ,lakes, license for out of state, size and bag limits.
    Thanks in advance.
    good luck to all
    Lenny

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well we have three pretty major rivers here, the elkhorn, the platte, and the missourri. the elkhorn and platte are mid sized with the elkhorn being smaller than the platte. both are easy to find fish in. the missourri is a large river with very swift current. it has alot of wing dikes and large eddy pools. i usually find the active fish on the outside bends, where there is very rocky structure. as for lakes you have wherspan, zorinsky, carter lake, and standing bear. wherspan would probably host the best chance for a big fish, zorinsky has alot of smaller stuff but action is usually fast. as for standing bear and carter lake i've never fished them.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

-zak

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Couldn't have said it better myself, there are some lakes on the Iowa side that are supposed to be fairly decent, maybe SudDawg will chime in on this thread, he used to live in Lake Manawa.

Aaron

TA2D

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

If you're sticking in the Omaha side of the Missouri, I would try Wehrspann. It's full of pretty good Channel Cats, at least it was last year. I also saw a few people catch 10+ pound channel cats out of Walnut Creek while I was crappie fishing. They used chicken livers mostly, and punch bait.

The Iowa side has Lake Manawa. There are some really good catfish in there, but they're harder (for me,) to find there. That lake is stocked with plenty of other species and there are gizzard shad in there.

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/fishing/guides/fishguide/fishguide.asp#fees

http://www.iowadnr.com/license/options.html

Good Luck

SudDawg

P.S. TA2D - only 3 months left bro, and I'm a comin home

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hello Catseeman. I Drift fished lake manawa last tues. from 9pm.till 12:30am and cought 2 channels one 10# and the other 5# there are some nice cat in the lake and there starting to turn on. you probably wont have your boat but there is plenty of acess around the lake. If you would like pm me and Ill see if I can work it out and we"ll take my boat out and put you on some cats.Bigcatman0816.

6. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Any of the lakes around Omaha have good channels in them. Zorinsky, Wehrspan, Walnut Creek. Cunningham has been a really good lake for me, but it just got drawn down for a renovation. Two Rivers and Louisville SRA are also a couple possibilities. If we ever get some warmer weather, it will get better for cats around here.