Olympics

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by spoonfish, Feb 17, 2006.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Haven't seen any Olympics topics on here yet.
    Any one watching them? Medal counts so far are as follows.

Medal Count
    Country,Gold, Silver,Bronze, Total

Norway 1 6 6 13
    Germany 5 4 2 11
    Russia 5 2 4 11
    Canada 2 4 5 11
    United States 6 3 1 10
    Austria 3 2 1 6
    Switzerland 2 2 2 6
    China 1 2 3 6
    Italy 2 0 3 5
    Finland 0 2 3 5
    Sweden 2 1 1 4
    France 2 0 2 4
    Country Total
    Netherlands 1 2 1 4
    Estonia 3 0 0 3
    South Korea 1 1 1 3
    Czech Republic 0 2 0 2
    Australia 1 0 0 1
    Slovakia 0 1 0 1
    Croatia 0 1 0 1
    United Kingdom 0 1 0 1
    Bulgaria 0 1 0 1
    Ukraine 0 0 1 1
    Latvia 0 0 1 1

2. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Well you are not the only one watching them, I am too :)

I would have thought that Canada & United States would have walked away with the medal count this year but apparently that's not the case.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Did any one see Lindsey Jacobellis last night in the snowboarding.
    I cant believe she feel down right at the finish line. She had the gold won by a mile and had to try to do some show boating on the final jump and fell.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    She said she was'nt showboating,that she had trouble with that jump the race before so she held her board that time to try to control it. Do you belive that ? I guess I would try to cover my screw up too!

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    LOL. We watched her interview after the race and later w/matt gumbal or what ever his name. It was pretty obvious she was trying to show off a little there. Shes lucky two of them had crashed before than or she probably wouldnt have even recieved a metal. Felt bad for her, thats going to haunt her for ever. It reminded of a foot ball game where the guy is going for a touch and trys to show off and drops the ball at the goal line.

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I felt bad for her too. One thing for sure she will never forget, and won't do that again.

7. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    I'm so tired of these American atheletes with they're "Oh well, I'm here to have fun attitude" or "I don't care about medals" Well then, if you want to just have fun, then stay home and let someone else who will represent the USA and win medals. These kids were sent to win medals since they are toted as the best the USA has. If I were an Olympic athlete, that would be my goal, to bring home gold for me since I claimed to be the best and for my country since I was sent there to represent USA. I would not throw away four years of training and wasted sponsorship dollars just to "have fun". Have fun at the end, that is what the closing ceremonies are for. That is what these bums get paid to do, win medals and I know they get paid because they live very well. Let's see how much fun it would be to work a full time job, train, pay for your own airfare/lodging to events outside of the country, pay for equipment and try to feed yourself. There was a time when athletes had to go through this without sponsorship as it is today. These athletes are very ungrateful for the fact they they are able to compete and not have to worry about frivilous things such as eating, money and housing. Three of these athletes have the "i'm here to have fun attitude" and they were either DQ'd or didn't medal or missed a gold because of stupidity. In earlier Olympics, atheletes didn't enjoy sponsorship like today. They're still considered amateur athletes even though they get endorsements out of the yazoo. They are very ungrateful for the things that they receive to make it easier for them to "play". When they start having to foot the bill for everything, maybe they will go back to working hard. Maybe it's just my parents taught me to be grateful for God given talent and to be grateful if someone is making it easier for you to pursue your dream. No, I'm not bitter old lady and I am an American. I guess I just grew up with different values and wasn't a spoiled brat.

8. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, got that out of my system. I've been watching the Olympics and just see that lack of commitment in the athletes. I was glad to see that little known American win a Gold medal in skiing since party boy Bode Miller got DQ'd and "doesn't care about a medal". Little Missy should be sent home for hotdogging on the next to the last run, that was just stupid.

9. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA

10. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

WHAT!!!! The Olympics are this year???

Ray

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    LMAO. I hear ya. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time.;) LOL

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Oh now wheres the spirit guys.
    Im just glad nascar starts tomorrow, wonder whos gonna get the gold in it???

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I think they are going to show the olympic's instead of the race's.