Olympic reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Swampy, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Anyone know anything about the Olympic reel Co. & where I can find parts for vintage Olympic spinning reels? I have a few I came across while buying other reels & tackle in a few package deals. I don't know anything about the Olympic band and never used one of their reels. Since they seem to be in overall good shape,I thought I may restore them & hand them down to my kids one day.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hope they enjoy them.

Sounds like you have enough to start your tackle shop now. Good luck with it.

3. Ancient

Ancient New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Howdy Swampy,
    I use to have one when I was younger but haven't heard of them in a long while.

Ancient

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I do not know if this information will help you or not, but there is a good real repair shop next to the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield MO. When I had a bait and rod & reel repair shop in Illinois I got a lot of parts from them. I do not remember the name of the place but the number for the Bass Pro Shop is 417-887-7334 They are real good people there and I feel if you call them they may be able to give you some information.

LarryW

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

Welcome! Hope you can help him out and tell him what you thought about them. Glad to see you and Deb here! Love and Hugs :0a25: :big_smile: :big_smile_2: :thumbsup: :cool:

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Swampy you the man! tell me you have in that collection a Dolphin 621-LW??? been lookin for parts since I joined. If you do "Lets Make A Deal" Mine is perfect except for the casting/release arm & screw are missing. I'd be interested in any/all of them if you want to get rid of them.
    Thanks
    Don

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Welcome to the BOC Brother. I think The Olympic reel Co. is NO more.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Larry,
    I'll check them and see if they have any. Thanks Bro.

Don,
    All I can tell you at this point is,I Don't Know! They are boxed and stored,they where not what I was after in the deals so they got chuncked in a box.LOL I'll write that reel # down and see if I can help you,if not I'll try to find those parts while I'm looking for other parts.
    I tried to find dealers with parts for them but their are vary few that have any parts. The parts they do have are mostly springs,handles & spools and most of those are used parts. At this point I don't think I'll need any new parts to restore them,but you never really know until you get into the case. I think I'll pull them out soon lube and spool them up and use them a time or two before I break them down.

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Check your PM & let me know ASAP

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Thanks, if you change your mind let me know. I've never used this one either but it is one fine lookin reel.
    Don

11. T. Pecanic

T. Pecanic New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Had to resurrect this thread! Just found a 621-LW at the Gun Show here in Az for $10. I grabbed her in an instant, probably all she's worth! I immediately took it home and wrenched on her all night. She's sitting pretty now on a Berkeley Lighting Rod with the Titanium footed guides and their LFS system.. I'm $40 into the finished set up... Deal! I was thinking this, at least.

I will get a daylight shot of her as she is now at some point today. Wife thinks, and now knows I'm an idiot... We're 'ok' with this! Lol. Here's the kicker though... I just want to know what year these manufactured in? The companies obviously gone, and what, or who did Olympic become? These reels are real similar to somebody else's... Also wondered about spool capacity? This one is laced with 20lb Big Game TriLene... I know, monofilament guy, shoot at him! Lol.

This one is pushing the same age as me I'm sure of. I'm just impressed how it needed a cleansing, some screws tightened/all of them, lol, some Lube, some line, a rod and a little TLC. Somebody's gotta know something! Talk to me boys? And, thank you for reading...

PICS COMING SOON... Before and afters!

12. T. Pecanic

T. Pecanic New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welp, didn't think many would reply to the finding of a relic... lol. I rebuilt the reel, took it out for a spin. I was shocked when I did my first cast, after setting eveything perfectly... And I cast the largest 'bird's nest' I ever have in my life! I can not believe how smooth this puppy is after all these years and a tune up. I had pics of it all set up, but my Rifle's were in the way in the picture... They are a little scary. So, pics still coming soon for those that don't care, some day you will! lol.

13. T. Pecanic

T. Pecanic New Member

State:
    Arizona
    734989_488955074502099_979619312_n.jpg

There she is when we first met that day...

14. T. Pecanic

T. Pecanic New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Forget about the Sig and the Snake's... I'll never get to do new pics. The goodies are on the right! Old Daiwa and Olympic... Sitting pretty, and ready!
    860861C2-B7EF-4550-899E-73164B7829F4-9342-0000043E68EECF3A_zps514b1bcb.jpg

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice looking reel Tom! :smile1: I always enjoy bringing old gear back to life! I use lot's of vintage tackle on my fishing trips. Just the way I roll I suppose! :biggrin1:

16. T. Pecanic

T. Pecanic New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My kinda guy! I love hearing it!

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i found an older olympic open face i found up at the lake, i ended up giving it to my little brother. looked kinda cheap in my opinion.

18. T. Pecanic

T. Pecanic New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Possibly the only cheap part on this reel is the handle... Everything else is solid my man.

This reel being 30 plus years old and ready to crank something in with ease is proof enuff right there they weren't dung piles. This one has PROVEN itself I'd say by lasting this long. Your comment is moot dude!

You probably aren't gonna appreciate this, but... I think you made a Newbie mistake handing that one off.

Mine is as old as me, possibly you, and performs better than my $400 new stuff. Your turn! ;)