olentangy?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catmandoo22, Aug 1, 2009.

1. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    anyone ever fish the olentangy river??? iv seen and reeled in a few nice channels outa there. biggest iv seen was a 2 1/2 footer. big fish for a little piece of river. if anyone has ever fished it...what part? what bait? what time of day? need some feed-back.

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I have fished it, but honestly, not that much in my entire life. Probably only been there lees than 10 times. When I do go it's usually to take a younger member of my family, so I don't really look for and great "spots".

Funny though, I took my nephew there earlier this year and he caught the biggest sunfish I have ever seen. It had to weigh close to a pound.

Not to poach your thread or anything, but I always wondered if there were Flatties in there? Same question for the Scioto, from below the Greenlawn Dam. I know they are at Circleville, but how far north are they known to be?

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :smile2::smile2: There was a thread a few weeks ago about a fellow BOC askin about tips on fishin in his area and a BOC replyed with "olentangy" LOL! Now i know its a RIVER not an object.

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    There are good numbers of Channel Cats in the Olentangy but the sizes genrally run smaller than in the Scioto. The good news is that it's not nearly as heavily fished for Catfish as the Scioto. Cut bait should work well there. Fresh shad in particular. The best stretch in the Columbus area is probably the area around the confluence with the Scioto and just north of it. Good luck!

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    There are Flatheads in both the Olentangy and the Scioto in the Columbus area but the numbers and sizes are both lower than in more southern stretches of the Scioto. In the Scioto anywhere south of greenlawn dam is better. The farther south the better except for in the spring when they stack up in the spillway area at Greenlawn. Bank access is pretty limited south of the Dam though. I think the numbers in the Olentangy make it pretty difficult to target flatheads specifically.

6. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks guys