Older Than Dirt

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Arkansascatman777, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Take the quiz at the end to find out if you are older than dirt :smile2:.

One of my friends kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called at home, I explained. "Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I sat there until I did like it."

By now, the kid is laughing so hard I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I should have told him about my childhood.

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. But, it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 9, but my uncle had one before that. It was, of course, black and white,

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie ." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have an almost new car, the only car in our family was well used.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the dining room and it was on a party line. Before you could RING out, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Milk came from our cows.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

</ B>MEMORIES:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
    Real ice boxes.
    Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
    Irons you heated on the stove top to iron your clothes.
    Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
    2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water and then chewed the bottle like gum
    3. Candy cigarettes
    4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
    5. Coffee shops or diners with table side juke boxes
    6 Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard s toppers
    7. Party lines
    8. Newsreels before the movie
    9 . P.F. Flyers
    10. Butch wax
    11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix -mine was Yorktown
    12. Peashooters
    13. Howdy Doody
    14. 45 RPM records
    15. S&H Green Stamps
    16 Record players
    17. Metal ice trays with lever
    18. Mimeograph paper
    19 Blue flashbulbs
    20. Packards
    21. Roller skate keys
    22. Cork popguns
    23. Drive-ins
    24. Studebakers
    25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
    If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
    If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

If you are older than dirt, those memories are the best :cool2:.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I must be older than dirt. LOL, so much as when I was a kid, the dead sea was only sick. :wink:

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well I got 15 so that means Im just shy of older than dirt

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Crap, i remember all but black jack gun. Only reason i didn't say milk in bottles was cause momma milked every mornin. I been sent to turn the antenna a gazillion times. We had channel 4,7,11 and 2 was the educational channel. I grew up poor but never knew the difference, everyone else was in the same boat. I can say this however, no man alive was ever shown anymore love than i was. My folks believed in work, damn hard work and held no regard for laziness. That carries on in my world today and i'm very proud of it. thank you Johnny, i can see we came from the same field.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

I just barely made older than dirt. I can remember all of them but have been around 16 of them growing up. Not sure if I'm that old or we were just that poor :eek:oooh::smile2:.

6. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I'm only 38 and 11.5/12 years old (yeah that's right, not 39 just quite yet), and I can remember 16 of them... I guess I'm in the same boat, cause we were poor as well, and so was everyone else in the area. Believe it or not, Karen and I both have been told the exact phrase that we are "older than dirt" by our own kids. lol :roll_eyes:

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I've heard of them all mostly, but it said the ones you actually remember.... got a 21 so I am YES older than dirt. Everyone was poor where I came from including us, but I didn't know it. I love my people for that.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Oh I have heard of alot more than I answered like a Studabaker and and some other things I was going by what I actually remembered seeing at the house.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    First test I've taken in years and got em all right. :smile2:

We never had a phone or electricity when I was growing up.
    My first phone was the one wife and I got. I was 22 years old, the number had a prefix of Emerson, (EM).
    Saw TV the first time in the USAF when I was 17.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I got 14. Dang, were getting old Gary! :crazy::roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think I will start looking into my burial arrangements.:embarassed::embarassed:

I am Older Than Dirt. :sad2::sad2:

I remember them all.:sad2::sad2:

12. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I may not be as old as some of you old farts, but i only missed one butcher wax, at the young age of 52 i have memories of my youth,
    1,the police oficer walking the beat knew you and your family well.
    2,when my neighbor PoP called the bar for a qt of beer i could pick it up for him
    also was able to go to the store and get his smokes with out question,
    3, 8 cent pop with 2cent deposit on the bottle
    4, you could get a pocket full of candy for 10 cents
    5, movies cost a $1.50 this included pop corn, soda, and a box of candy and it was s double feature.
    6 you spent more time outside than in the house
    7, games consist of dice, spinners and cards.
    8, transistor radios was the most sort after electronic of the day only a few kids had them.
    9, the first didigital watch with a lcd screen cost around 3k
    heck my list can go on for ever

13. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Yep! Older than dirt! We didn't have much money but poor, I don't think so. We had family we didn't need money! Wouldn't trade my life for nothing.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can relate to most of them. Yes, I'm older than dirt.:smile2:

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    23 for me:eek:oooh:
    i ain't that old! we were (still am) just poor.

don't know about butch wax. i didn't get to go to movies, so i didn't see the newsreels. i milked our own cows too, but we had a friend that drove a giltedge milk truck so i am familiar wit milk bottles and leaving them on doorsteps in the early a.m.

and i have 8 of those metal ice trays.:big_smile:

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    who remembers a soda pop called "Pommac"?

17. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Was here when dirt got shiny, I listen to the older folks and learn. God Bless then old catters
    keep them lines wet

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got all but 1, way older than dirt !!! But thats ok Those were some really Good Times !!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldnt it be nice to live it those simple times ? :smile2:

19. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    19 right and proud of it no I wasn't poor MOM raised 4 by hard factory work and taught us if you want it work and earn it that is why I say not poor just learned we did not need all everybody else needed [Butch Wax a pinkish redish stiff concoction you bought at the drug store to make your flattop stand up straight]

20. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I do also what about apple beer