Older 'n dirt

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Sep 9, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    Older 'n Dirt!!
    "Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"
    "We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."
    "C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"
    "It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."
    By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:
    Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.
    My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.
    I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.
    We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."
    I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.
    Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.
    All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.
    Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.
    If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
    Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
    My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.
    How many do you remember?
    Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
    Real ice boxes.
    Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
    Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.
    Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about Ratings at the bottom.
    1. Blackjack chewing gum
    2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
    3. Candy cigarettes
    4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
    5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
    6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
    7! Party lines
    8. Newsreels before the movie
    9. P.F. Flyers
    10. Butch wax
    11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
    12. Peashooters
    13. Howdy Doody
    14. 45 RPM records
    15. S&H Green Stamps
    16 Hi-fi's
    17. Metal ice trays with lever
    18. Mimeograph paper
    19 Blue flashbulb
    20. Packards
    21. Roller skate keys
    22. Cork popguns
    23. Drive-ins
    24. Studebakers
    25. Wash tub wringers
    If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
    If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
    If you remembered 16-2! 5 = You're older than dirt!
    I might be older than dirt but those memories are the best part of my life.
    Don't forget to pass this along!!
    Especially to all your really OLD friends....

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Darryl:
    Good post brings back a lot of memories such as"

the starter button on the dash and even earlier on the floor, there were only a few non-electric start cars when I grew up.

Car for sale ads that made a big deal out of the options: Radio and/or heater and of course overdrive. The radio was almost always AM only

3. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Great post. According to my score I am also older then dirt too. Good memories for a slower and I think better time.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went thru the whole list of 25 looking for something I didn't remember... sadly, I remember them all, only too well...:smile2: My Grandson even bought me a Medal a little larger than a silver dollar with the inscription "Older Than Dirt"...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Thats a good post. I can remember all 25 plus some thats not listed. Those were the days when we had hardly no crime and no locks on the doors.

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Darn, I remember them all. Everything in this good post plus somemore. I am into old cars, pickups and tractors and some still have the starter on the floor
    and the heaters on the firewall.
    My number one fishing wagon is a 62 Chevy 1/2 ton 6 cly pickup that I drive
    daily until I need to go very far and then I upgrade to one on the newer pickups.
    Regards
    Bill

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Yeah and nickle candy bars, getting a chunk of ice from the milk man, the guy on the 3 wheel bike with the dry ice freezer on the back (before the "good humor man") selling nickle popcycles, fudgecycles, dreamcycles. Kick the can, dodge ball, catching lightning bugs and making rings from them. The list goes on and on. Yep dirt is old and so is a bunch of us.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Man you all must be old. I don't remember none of those. :big_smile_2:

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I remember fourteen of 'em, so I fall into the "don't tell your age" category :big_smile: I plan on referring to that if necessary! Thanks for the quiz, Darryl :wink:

10. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Looks like Chuck and I are from the same era. Don't forget the crank starter and spark advance on the steering column. The ice man's horse always knew where to stop. Same with the milkman's before he got the old Divco truck... Trucks, I think Diamond Reo's, with chain drives.etc..... Boy, I really am old!!!!!!!

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I hit the older than dirt, but small town raised kept life a little more simple and safe.

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I only truly counted six or seven that happened in my time. Although I have heard and seen of at least that many more that were just fading away. The small grocery across from my house when I was young had a coke cooler that looked like a stainless chest type freezer with sliding top doors. It had a bottle opener right on the side of the cooler for the glass coke and pepsi bottles . Coke products were on one end and Pepsi were on the other. The store also had a huge jar of pickles and pickled bologna sitting on the counter. And they offered super bubble bubble gum in a single wrapper either 1 or 2 for a cent and peanut butter hard candy that had stripes (cant remember the name) that was awesome. Oh, almost forgot the pot belly stove sitting at the back of the store that heated the place during the winter. Also forgot to mention the old dirty wood floors. Vern

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I use to like to drive a Studebaker with REAL horsepower.Steered it with the reins.It had cruise control and auto-pilot.That mule would stop and look both ways before crossing the road.(for real)Man was I big time when I got to drive that wagon?It was about 45 years old then and was drove to town ever Saturday."Made before the war" WW-1 that was.You people got me afraid that I am going to remember the Lord making dirt.I surly loved that old couple that let me drive that wagon.I don;t remember a single bump,but I do remember the smell of side meat and biscuits that they always packed for their lunch.Yea!A stray kid can find love in many ways.peewee-williams

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Willard, you're lying like a rug:lol:

i 'member 'em...anyone remember those little sharp mint thingys called sin-sin? i sure would like to have some of those again

15. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Very Good Post Brother

16. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    Hmmmm I got 15. But I am sure if I went over the list again I would find atleast 1 more..... The whole thing made me feel older than dirt. Or as a dear departed friend of mine used to say "I'm so old I fart dirt!"
    Lisa

17. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Oh my, that was an experience. They say that you memory is the 2nd thing to go when you get old but I do remember all of those.

I also remember the outdoor toilets with the wind blowing through in the winter.

The wood burning cook stoves that required gathering wood EVERY night after school.

The kerosene lamps that put out strings of oily soot to mess up everything they touched.

The outside well, long handled pump and bucket to carry water into the house.

The hot brick under the thick feather quilt to warm up your bed because the heat from kerosene stove in the front room never made it back to your bedroom.

The school when I started was one room for grades k - 8 with my aunt for a teacher. Up stairs was another room for grades 9 - 12. The yearbook I have apologizes for not have graduation that year. Seems that the only Senior joined the Navy.

Aaaaahhhhh Yyyyyyyeeeessss, remember it well. LOL

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    im old enough to remember nearly all of those but how about 10 cent bottles of pop and penny candy too

19. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I shouldn't tell my age, but I'm not that old!!! For 31, I think some of it is a product of living in a small town.

Ray

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I loved the sound of those chain drive trucks on the road.A few were still being used by some of the independent loggers in my day.06 cent Cokes,2 for a penny on some candies.A full box of matches for a penny.As a kid being sent to the hardware store for Dynamite and Fuse,but not allowed caps.The Dynamite was sold by the stick or the case,the fuse by the foot or the roll.The caps were sold to adults by each or by the box.Remember always eating a little of the Dynamite to keep from getting that terrible headache that the smoke and fumes gave you?Being sent to turn the Dynamite to keep the nitroglycerin from leaching out when you stored the leftover sticks.Yep! I Dynamite was a tool regularly used by many rural folks for many jobs just like a axe or a saw.peewee-williams