Older Abu 5000 (red) just bought

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catstalker459, May 25, 2007.

1. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    hey guys

tell me how well i did . i bought a abu 5000 (red) on ebay for 20 bucks. it is the older version. i thought i would try it since i dont own one.

anxious to hear your replies

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Still using one that I bought about 1970.Bushings are getting loose but it still works and gets lots of use.If your reel has had the proper sized line used it could still be in good shape.
    Jake

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    what kind do u all recommend would be good for this reel?

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    It may not be all that old as wal mart has a red 5000 for 54 bucks as for line I use cajun red and love it. i would maybe do 20# on it and see I run 40 on all my 6000

5. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    hey guys here is the reel...is there anyway to tell the date by looking at it?

Attached Files:

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    how old did you say that reel was? it looks just like the one that my grandfather has been fishing with since the 60's. the same reel i learned to cast on. it prolly needs cleaning, lube, and a lil' adjustin' but other than that you gotta pretty good reel.

7. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    not sure was wondering if any of ya knew how to tell how old they were m( markings, certain styles, etc)

8. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have never had line on my old 5000 heavier than 17 lb.The old reel you have has bushings,not bearings at the end s of the spool.There should be a felt pad under the end caps that needs to be kept soaked with oil.
    Jake

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think if it has the actually ambassador badge instead of saying abu garcia it should be one of the old style ones, not sure how old but old enough to be better than the abu garcia ones.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Im saying that this reel is mid 60's to 70's by the handle itself late 70's when i started useing them new ones had black grips.is there a model # or any other numbers on it?

11. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    tim-

all i could find is this abu, 5000 ambassador, and ser # 087100

Attached Files:

12. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    these reels are from the mid 60s , 5000, 5500c. and 5000c

Attached Files:

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice reel!

14. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    those are nice wanna sell them? lol, so what can u tell me about mine, i am gonna go with tims suggestion with line just like to know the history of them the bad the good how to clean and maintain them etc

15. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    My reels were used a lot, cleaned and oiled once a mo. I used 17# and 20# line on them. I have some newer ones I still use.Someday my grandsons will own them.I also have several saltwater spinning reels about the same age that still are in great shape. keep the old reels clean and they will last

16. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    It may be a lil old. It still looks good. But; if it get the job done dont stress it.:wink:

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You've got an old 5000 from late 60s to early 70s with what is called the "dimpled" endplates. These usually bring more. Lood at the bottom of the foot. Some of these reels will start with the year number on the serial number the reel was made. What is the number?

I'd use anywhere from 15 to 20lb cajun or big game line on it. I usually run 17lb to get good strength and enough for distance. The previous post was correct also about the felt washers in the caps. You need them with the bushings to keep oil in so it doesn't dry out. If you don't have them, hit me up, I've got plenty from reels I've converted to bearings!

If you're gonna change the handle, stay away from the new style with the flat paddles. The handle shaft is thicker than the older style, and the handle shaft on the old reels aren't as long. The handle nut will not get a bite on as many threads and the handle will pop off. They do make new handles for the older reels with an indention in the handle were it mounts to the shaft so the nut gets enough of the threads to not pop off.

Good luck and enjoy your new reel:cool2:

18. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Would you have a couple sets of bushings that are still tight?I have two old red reels that the bushings are getting pretty loose and don't want to go to bearings because I have had problems with them while fishing saltwater.
    Jake

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got two size bushings, several sets. Let me know what reel you've got and an address, and I'll mail them to you.

If it's the old red 5000 or 6000, or the green 5000d, then the spool shaft is 1/8 inch. I've got spool bearings for the 3mm and 4mmm. Those sizes fit the later model 7000s and old 5000C, 5500C, 6000C, &6500C. The 4mm fit the ultra cast style 4600 through 6500 & 6600. I might have one set of the 1/8 size, just let me know.

20. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Learning something here .My reels have the 1/8 in. shaft.I had got the idea that all the 5000 and 6000 were metric 4x10 x4.Glad I didn't get desperate and order a bunch of bearings as it would have been a waste of money.
    Jake