Older 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Uncle Sam, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My wife and I visited my father-in-law in Arkansas on father's day weekend. I found an old 6000 in his junk shed. He said he bought at a garage sale a few years ago. I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning and lube. It works good and shows minimal wear inside.
    It is the older style with the spool bushings in the end caps, and does not have a bait clicker. How long ago did they change the spool and shaft configuration?
    I thought they all had a bait clicker. Someone enlighten me please. Thanks

Sam

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sam, look at the reel foot on bottom and post the s/n that will tell the date it was made. What color is the reel? Some of the older models have the clicker button on the side like the 7000 and larger series.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Some of the older 6000s didn't have clickers. I'm guessing it is red. If it is, it's also got the 1/8 diameter spool shaft. They do make bearings to fit it, but the only place I've found them is in California at VMX Bearings on the internet. It's an odd size bearing. If you need the measurments, I'll have to wait till I get home to get them were I've got them written down.

It's still a great reel as is though, you've found a jewl.

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys, that's pretty fast response. Roger, I'm going to get that number and look up that website. I didn't know you could do that. Vince it is definitely red, even the insides of the spool are red anodized. I'd be interested to know the shaft size and where to get bearings to replace the bushings. Pretty good find on the reel. Now I need to rustle up a rod. Thanks a lot guys.

Sam

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I believe the bearing size for your shaft is 1/8" X3/8"X 5/32". If I remember right, that's the size that will replace the bushing if you go that route. From now on when I replace bearings, I use the ceramics. They last about 10 times longer and are sooooooo much smother and need no oil, unless you need to slow them down a bit. Go to VMX Bearings.com and go to Abu Garcia bearings, you'll find them there and I think they also make ceramic in that size, they just cost a little more than the stainless.

If I were you though, I'd look at how I"m going to fish with the reel. If you're fishing in alot of sandy areas, I'd stick to the bushings that are already in the reel. I've still got bushing reels I fish with that I use when I am in sandy areas and don't want to get all the gritty sand in the bearings. The older style 6000s also seem to hold more line than the new style ones too. Mine will hold more 25lb test line than I can throw off of mine with a 10ft rod and 3oz. sinker.

Enjoy your new reel, they don't make em like that anymore!