"Old" World record catfish???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by puddle jumper, Apr 18, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    The last couple of hot post on here about the giant cats got me thinking about a old pic I saw some time back, so I went looking for it again and found it with the heading that read,,,"caught it Tenn in 1914" Was this the tru world record US cat?? Thats all the info I can find on it..

What do you guys think,, Anyone know any more info on it?? Was it and it might be " I dont know " a photo shop??:confused2:
    There are a lot of stories floating around about 200+ cats from days gone by...
    Puddle

Attached Files:

2. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I think its really possible that its true, to bad people didnt weigh them like we do (meaning they didnt see if it could be a record) and that could feed me for a long time lol. But i think its really possible and i dont think its photoshopped, but, im not the smartest guy in photoshop, so i could be wrong

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's been around for some time, some think the fish & buggy are true but not the man in the pic, others just say a really good photoshop

4. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Now that I look at it real close not sure but , his left foot looks like its floating in the air???

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep thats one huge flathead. i believe that they were that big and could still be somewere :confused2: at least i believe :embarassed:. the stories of my relitives noodeling for food during the depression:eek:oooh: a couple didnt come back:sad2:. wish some of them were still around to tell or retell some stories. i think their methods of take left little to chance from what if heard hay hooks and huge ropes or chains tied to tree trunks with whole chickens for bait :crazy: better odds of them not getting away than r&r.

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    That looks photoshopped to me. I do think they grew that big back in the day though. Someone posted something in the other thread about this that made a lot of sense to me. A 150 pound fish would most likely be eating food much bigger than most, if any modern cat fisherman use as bait. I never really thought about it like that before but it sounds reasonable.

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I don't know about the picture but I am sure they grew that big back then and probly still do.I could have swore I hooked into a couple that size before with them spooling out 300 yard of 65# braid and busting it but I will never know I think I would pass out if I got one that big to the boat.I hope some one come across another that size some day if they release it.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    If you look at the photo closely, that man posing with the catfish, looks like a midget. He looks mighty small compared to the catfish! I really believe that photo is an honest fake! Not to say the catfish is real, but the photo? Well I think you'll get the point!!:cool2: Just do a comparasion to the man and the fish. Take a 6' tall man and look at the fish. That fish in reallity would probably be 300 to 400 lbs. and 9 to 10 foot long!!

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    When I was a little boy, that picture was in the local bank here. Along side the full mount of my step dads 97 lb blue cat. Even my granddad talked about that picture being real.
    Also Grandpaw was not one of those men to lie. And as a kid I have heard him talk about the big blues and flat heads here on the Tn river. (before the dams were built) He had one float up next to the boat one day. That one's head was as wide as as 32" Boat paddle. He fished the river for a living way before the dams.
    I fished with my step dad on the river, we have lost big fish on trot lines that were way over 100 lbs. Do I believe there still in the river here? Yes I do I hooked one 5 years ago. Biggest fish I have ever had the pleasure to tie into. I could not do anything to that fish. Even in 50ft of water there was bubbles bigger then a #2 wash tub coming up. Never did get that fish up. Guy that was fishing by me, Could only shake his head as I tried to fight that fish.
    I do believe there will be a 160+ blue caught within the next year or so on Rod and Reel. And that is not the end of it . As more states stop the killing of all the big fish people care to catch. They will grow bigger, live longer. Just like here below Pickwick dam. Our bigger fish have been getting easer to catch. Part of it is less people are taking every fish over 34" they catch out. Other reason less commercial fisherman here also.
    But we still have people take out big fish for no other reason than to show them off. I know of 15 over 60 lbs within the last 2 years that were hauled around until they grew tired of showing them off. Then toss them. Now they were eating them. Its not as big of a deal. but to just throw them away after hauling one around for hours. That bites me.
    Best of luck and I know someone will catch a new record soon.
    Pete

10. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Maybee insted of fishing with chicken breast, We should be fishing with the whole chicken and some off Pete,s double hook rigs...We had a fish recently caught on the TN river that when it got on the boat it choked up about a 4lb drum...
    Puddle

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've read about this picture and heard that it is a fake..Someone said that the fish and the wagon are real but that it was like a childrens lil pull wagon and that the man is photo shopped in..I do believe that there are big 150 lb + cats out there too though..The largest that I've seen caught with my own 2 eyes was a 90 lb blue caught in the Mississippi River down in Louisiana under a grain elevator..And I've also experienced big hits with heavy tackle only to lose the fish..Had one snap 80lb braided line like it was sewing thread..

12. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    ALL OF YOU GUYS THAT SAY THEVE GOT INTO A BIG CAT THAT SPOOLED YOUR REEL OR BROKE YOUR LINE EVER THINK OF THOSE GIANT ALLIGATOR GAR OUT THERE THATS PROBLY WHAT IS GOT Yall THINKIN ITS A CAT

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    from what iv heard the aligator gar are not in alot of waters so it would be hard for a fish thats not there to do it???

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats the point being made that theise fish do have the potintial to get that big 300# and yes that fish probally would weigh that mutch. look at a 300# wells cat compaired to a 6' man looks pretty close to the fish in the picture :wink:

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Like this Mekong cat!! World record of over 600 lbs!! Believe it's around 646lbs to be exact!!

Attached Files:

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
  17. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    All I know for sure is that just the thought of it being possible that I may hook into a truly huge fish will keep me catfishing for the rest of my days! And I am content with that. And truthfully, I don't know if I really want to know the size of the largest cat out there. I beleive that is part of what makes the catfish what it is to us true "Cataholics". :wink: Just my 2 cents.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would believe that the guy on the wheel of the wagon is an ELF before there were flatheads that big.:smile2:

19. jer__man

jer__man New Member

State:
    Kingwood Texas
    I think I would believe the version of big fish on a little wagon. Thanks for the link Bownero.

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think the photo looks fishy to say the least.....but I do beleive that there are plenty of big cats left that weigh well over 100 lbs. With the current world record Flathead at 123 lbs and the world record Bluecat at 124 lbs.....whats the chance that the largest fish out there was caught??? No way!....I personally witnessed a monster Flathead come to the surface one night after my friends bait as it came to the top of the water and it dwarfed anything I have ever seen since!:crazy: