Old trucks are expensive!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Kalvinc, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    Bought an 86' GMC Sierra 3/4 ton with a 350 and a new transmission for $1,000 back in December and it didn't run at the time. Spent $100 to get it towed to my brother's house and an additional $300 replacing the plugs/wires, hoses, filters, belts, cap & rotor, battery etc.

Been running since then except it leaks/burns oil, leaks gas (replaced the line and fixed it), leaks transmission fluid.....all until this morning. I am scheduled to move back to my parent's house and attend college this Monday so Sunday is my last day at work. We had a meeting this morning and wouldn't you know it my truck dies at the stoplight (uphill) across the street from work. Put the break/signal on (while people are honking and getting angry) and ran across the street and got 2 guys help me push it across the street. Luckily I work at a Wendys that is in the same building as a Pilot station. Put gas in her and she still wouldn't start. Guy I work with said it was the fuel pump. Went and got one at Auto Parts ($21.96) and spent 2 hours trying to put the stupid thing in. Works fine now. Also need a new rear end there is something messed up with mine when I pop it into reverse it makes a horrible clang. Figured it was the U-joints but I bought some and went to put them in and when I was turning the drive shaft it turns out the noise is in the rear end the joints are fine. Go through $200 bucks in gas per month and I don't hardly drive around town and 10 minutes away to go fishing.

Is it worth fixing the stuff wrong with it or would I be better driving it till she dies and part it out?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You need to weigh your options. Needs verses cost. You probably could find a salvaged rear end complete and change it out. Maybe trade for something more cost saving.

3. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Check and make sure there ius plenty of rear end grease, if it's low it will make a lot of noise.

4. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take it to a mechanic to get a through looking over. You need a list of what is currently wrong and need fixing now, what needs to be done soon and what to keep up with. If you part it out, you are starting all over with another vehicle. They are expensive no matter what.

5. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    My friend who used to be a mechanic was going to help me replace the U-joints but then he discovered it was the rear end. He gave me some grease for it but I have yet to find the place to put it.

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i had a full size chevy 4x4 , man did it love gas i mean i was gettin 5-6 miles to a gallon finally gave in and got a car guess i finally thought that all the money i was wasting on gas could be used for better things , like fishin lol and i rarely used the 4 wheel drive anyway, do you really need a 4x4 ? can ya get away with a 2 wheel drive a little easier on gas anyway the rear end cover should have a plug in it that you would remove to fill the rear end up with grease most likely 80-90 gear lube, just fill till it starts to run out of the plug thats enough you might have to scrape away some old crud on the cover to find the plug

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    It's all in the eyes of the beholder. If you like the ole girl then fixing it up is the way to go. Even if you decided to drive something else to go fish sounds like you have a pretty good start on rebuilding this one too. Good luck an keep us informed!

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Well, a truck has to be dependable.
    I would figure in what you use your truck for the most. If it is 95% just a daily driver that never goes off road, consider downsizing to a smaller, newer vehicle. Maybe a small mid 90's SUV or small truck (s10, small blazer, ranger, BroncoII)
    If you need a 3/4 ton for hauling stuff like a HEAVY boat, cattle, farm equipment, concrete, ect. then keep yours and fix it. You can get a half ton that will get better milage if you just don't need a 3/4 ton.
    Having 4x4 is cool, but most folks never need it. But it is a good thing to have when selling a truck. It is instant $1500 resale value.
    Good luck on whatever you do, and If you run across a Suburu Brat grab it. You will never want another vehicle for fishing and playing.

9. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    Just wanted to let you guys know that this isn't a 4x4 its just 2 wheel drive. And as of now the majority of my time is spent on paved roads but tomorrow I am moving to Tahlequah on a dirt road and as soon as deer season starts that truck won't even see a paved road :tounge_out:

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If the fill plug for the differential is not in the rear cover, then look near the centerline behind the pinion yoke, clean off the dirt & you'll see a plug that takes a 3/8" drive ratchet. Be sure to clean it out real good before attempting loosining it as it will strip out:angry:

HTH, Elliot

11. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    3 words...Cash for Clunkers!

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Could be worse. I spent $2500+ on my truck last year, and its only a 1998. The thing is, if you buy something else, and its used, you could be going thru this again with the new one. You've fixed a bunch of stuff, you might as well fix whatever else is wrong and keep it.

13. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    if the engine is eating oil and its not just the head gasket. check the coolant if your out your truck will overheat and burn oil off. If the coolant is good then your engine might be ruined so run it till it dies and save up for a new beater in the meantime. I love beater cars and trucks and if you keep your ear to the ground you could end up with a gem. I picked up a 4 banger ranger for 500$ with only 130k on it. put a dynamax exhaust on it and ported the intake among other little tricks it went from 23mpg to 26mpg just like that and it runs smooth as all get out

14. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I would love to ahve a 3/4 ton from that year. but... i wouldnt pay 1000 bucks for it. i would rather pay more from some soccer mom that sold her husbands old truck. id rather get one thats in good condition and thats in good mechanical condition. yours sounds like someone rebuilt it with crappy parts!

i wouldnt invest anymore in it. sell the sucker or part it out. hows the body look? i know a front clip you can get about 250 bucks for if its only surface rust, and the bed at least 150, or you can convert it into a truck trailer and sell for 250 and the cab for like 100..... if yo part it out good axels go for about 75-150 each.

like they said. weigh your options.