Old Trilene XL mono

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by oahegw, Dec 6, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I came across a large spool of Trilene XL mono while cleaning the basement. It must be 20 years old. My basement is cool and dark in the storage area. Other than a slight bit of reel memory, the stuff seems to be OK. I guess I'll give it a try for eating channels next spring.

What are your thoughts on old mono line ??

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    take a couple feet of and give it i test to see if it still has strength, I think the only thing that will break down and weaken the line is the UV rays. as for the line memory spray some of Blakemore's line magic that will help.

3. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota

Great tip Ray. I see that line magic also helps keep your rod guides free of ice. It's about seven degees above zero here in So. Dakota right now.

THANKS! :big_smile:

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I know it gets cold in the Dakotas, I was sent there to work for a week last march it was -11 in the morning but warmed up to 4-9 in the day:eek:oooh:

5. festus

festus New Member

I had some line for about 15 years that was ok. It had been in a cool dark closet and probably never saw the 80 degree F mark not once.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i would toss it and get some new line. if your just going to try it on eater, id say it would be okay. however i am a line snob i change it out a lot and am fairly picky on the condition my line stays in. im not a risk taker when it comes to my fishing equipment.

7. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a spool of pink Ande that is at least 15 years old that I still use with no problems.Like yours it has been kept in a dark basement.If you can't feel any flaws or flat spots on the line it is probably still good.
    Jake

8. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma

:eek:oooh: at which point is it ok to breakdown and by another spool of $5 mono?

lol watever works:wink:

9. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would thrash that line an get some new you never know when that fish of a life time may bite you want to be ready for it