Old Traps 3

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Ace, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Here are a few more traps pics.

:0a4:

:cat:

2. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Here the rest of the traps.

:0a10:

:cat:

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    It was great looking at all of the old pictures thanks for sharing.
    Stephen

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I believe #1 is a Pioneer. The pan is missing though. These traps were convertible from using the dog (the flat piece that holds the jaw open when placed under the panshank) or can be converted to dogless. I just modified several of these traps (but they were longsprings) for a guy, and their design was identical to yours. The pan (which is gone on yours) also had a setscrew (bolt), that's why everything is slotted & bolted, as they all had to be slid around & adjusted depending on if you ran the dog-on, or dogless.

#2-Gibbs traps were well known, as was Gibbs, for making some interesting (in their design) traps. The one you have pictured is pretty much how todays coilsprings remain.

The #5 Bridger Longspring pictured has had laminations added to the jaws. I use #5 Bridger Longsprings for beaver traps.

You definately have some neat old traps Ace, some with alittle value, and some which are still produced today. There's a book titled "The Steel Trap in North America" by Richard Gerstell, it's $40-45, but has alot of interesting facts & information about alot of these old traps.

Thanks for the pics!
    Smitty