Old Tires

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by wizkersNworms, Mar 12, 2007.

1. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I was growing up as a kid, several ponds used to have old tires in them (for whatever reason). I can't remember how many fat catfish we pulled out of these tires either by hand or by hook, but it was a lot.

My question is have any of you had similar luck and what opinion do you have about using such tires to create habitat--or, as there must be, what are the better suggestions you have for habitat creaters, and how/when do you use them.

Thanks.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yes i remember when i was younger, my grandparents lived on a lake, and there was a dock across the street that had tires attached to it, and i can remember there always being catfish in those tires..Man that brought back memories, i used to go over there and fish allday long.I miss those days.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I believe, and I may be wrong, that old tires are sunk to provide channel cats to spawn in waters without much stucture. An owner of a pond near me sunk tires so the cats could spawn. They were fat due to spawning most likly.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Do not put old tires in a public lake or stream without permission of the fish and game authorities as well as the operator of the lake or stream...most rivers these days have a river authority. To do so would be considered littering and could mean jail time and/or a fine.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have heard old water heaters were good to but if you don,t own the lake best ask

6. Tala

Tala Guest

A bit off subject, Remember the early 70's when Fort Lauderdale disgarded about 2 million tires over the ocean floor, in an attempt to create an artificial reef? The reef of tires turned out to be a total failure. Now they need to get rid of them, at a cost of $40 million. :crazy:

As for catfish and a few tires scattered here and there...seems like a good idea.

7. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    With my original post, I"m not suggesting that anyone do this as I would never drop old tires or garbage into a body of water, my post and my question is geared towards the fact that many of us have seen these tires in lakes, and, if any other members have ideas as to good, including environmentally sound structure for catfish. I mean I see people all the time discussing great structures for crappie, bass, etc., and I figured of all places, this would be the place to discuss structure for catfish.

There is a new resevoir that I plan on fishing that is basically entirely bottomed with sand. Almost zero structure. Of course, the fish and game plan on putting catfish in the lake, and the fish and game also have a public/private partnership that allows sportsman to help create such things as structure that would help the lake. I hope this helps see the direction my post was going--which is certainly not towards all of us running out and dumping tires in the lakes we love!

Thanks for all the reply's--I always appreciate the insights of the BOC.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Before putting tires in a lake for structure, I'd look at either tree branches or, if allowed, making pvc "trees" and "stars". Nice thing about the pvc, you can angle the "branches" up and reduce tangle issues. Think Bass Pro sells ready made stars under the Bill Dance name.

9. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Around here alot of the fishing clubs work withg the D.N.R. and build (cribs) to put in the lakes . Different kinds for different species . Some private pond owners sink wooden pallets .

10. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with Jerry, but if you CAN find existing tires on your river, lake, stream of choice, there's no better holding place for cats.

11. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    friend of mine had a pond with tires sunk in it, and you could pull bass and cats from them. he also had about 25 or so 55 gallon drums with one end cut out laying on the bottom too...when we would get bored in the summer, we would go off in the pond and pull the catfish out of the drums by hand...just get pics and let them go for more another time. he has since drained the pond to do some reconstruction of the bottom and levys, but the drums will stay there for the fish when it is refilled

12. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've heard of people using pieces of PVC pipe - 6, 8, 10 diameter in their ponds for the same thing. To try to see if they could get their fish to spawn. Never tried it but that sounds better than old tires. JMO

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i was going to post the exact same thing. they tried to use 2 million tires to create an artificial reef. choked off and killed everything. now the navy is coming up with a 5 year plan to remove them. yep $40 million. i wouldnt suggest tires. + seeing tires in a beautiful body of water is sick. its called pollution. maybe an old hollow tree,lol.

14. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A few year ago I built a small lake. A friend had a dozen old and broken concrete culverts. They were perfect for catfish.