Old Timers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Nov 21, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    For all you old timers out there like me !How many of you remember what you were doing or where you was at the day JFK was shot and killed?:sad2:
    My self I was working at a saw mill carrying out lumber and slabs.Neighbor came by and said the President was just shot.We didn'tbelieve him till we went to dinner and heard it on the news.Needless to say that ruined everyones day.One of the few Presidents that I really did like.

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was in 2nd grade. The principal told the teacher and she was crying when she told us. School was then let out. I do remember watching the funeral on the old black and white. A sad time indeed. Later Andy

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had just pulled in to the local gas station for a fill up in my '30 Model A Ford and the attendant told me. Of course we had to rush home and catch all the news.

4. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was in shop class right after lunch. We had the radio on, and the anouncer came on right in the middle of a song,and said "The president has been shot".The whole class just stopped what they were doing. It was vary strange to be in shop and being able to hear a pin drop.Mr Reeves our teacher left class for a few mins. when he came back he had a T.V. he was head of the AV dept.he had just turned it on and the anouncer was talking,he was upset. Then he was handed some papers, he looked at them for a min and said. "The president is dead."I remember not knowing what or how to feel,and looking at at Scott Prins he was the teachers aid and maybe 3 years older then the class, and he was crying.Don Wyne, {a class mate} said we are going to war this week .It was a vary strange day.People walked out of classes and gathered at a big study hall that used to be the old gym. They had three TVs set up and everyone watched the broadcast untill the busses came to let everyone out of school. I remember saying a prayer for the president and the country.What a day!! smokey

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I found out about 1/2 hour after I reported to Oakland Army Terminal for overseas shipment. Was headed to Okinawa and was put on hold for eight days while they waited to see if we would be diverted to Europe or not. Scary business.

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I skipped school that day and went rabbit hunting. When I came home my mom was sitting and crying. I will never forget that day. Or the days that followed.

7. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I was a junior in high school, in the middle of class. The principal put the radio on loudspeaker with the news. What a sad Thanksgiving for everyone. They let school out early so we could go home & be with our families.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I don't remember. I was "MUCH" too young.:wink:

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I was home for lunch when I saw it on TV .I called the office and stayed home watching the rest of the day.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was in second grare also, and I remember well watching the funeral on the black and white [manual switching] tv.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had been rabbit hunting. As we were returning from the hunt the younger kids met us in the field and told of the tradgey. We watched TV the rest of the day.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was working morning shift but woke up early and was out in the storage room doing something. Wife heard it on TV and came out and told me.

Many years later in 1997 here in Hot Springs we had a waitress that was the daughter of Dallas police officer Nick McDonald that arrested Oswald. She was 10 years old in 1963. We saw her a couple more times but then she must have quit working that restaurant. Several months later she mailed us a packet with all the details about her dad, including this autographed picture. It was very interesting reading his side of the story. He was supposed to have a book come out in 1998 by the name of "Oswald & I".

Attached Files:

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I was a little boy when it happen. but did see some of it on the old bw tv.