Old timer's season change.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by thomas feldon, Nov 3, 2007.

1. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    I know the farmer's almanac is a farely good source of information for curious homesteader's.
    But does anyone have the information to share from your father or grandfather's to share like I had when I grew up in southwestern New York State?

Native Missouri State farmer's / hunter's / fisherman's, information about season change for our state.

The time of year influence's this also. Spring / Summer / Fall / Winter.

My family were mostly dairy farmer's and alway's predicted the comming season by the wind's dirrection. The day before season change for the first month / the day of the season change the second month / the day after the season change for the last month before the season changes again.

For once , I really paid close attention to the wind's at the end of summer and the beginning of fall. On the 22nd of Sept. the wind's were out of the southwest. So for October this ment, some moisture , warm temps, very warm day's and comfortable night's. On the day of season change. The wind's were out of the north. This mean's for November, cold nights, warm days and some moisture. The day after the season change, the wind's were out of the nortwest. This mean's for December cooler day's, cold night's and alot more moisture. Don't forget we are in the last day's of fall in December, this will mean ice and snow. How much? That's why I'm asking native folk's to set me straight on what is. At least this is what I remember from where I came from. I know it has to be allot different here in Missouri.
    Thank GOD we don't have a big lake ( lake ERIE ) to our west to dump snow on us.:wink:
    If you have rememberance's of what your dad's and granddad's told you please inform us. I sure do want to know.:smile2:

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Can't tell you how to predict the weather in the St. Louis area, but I can tell you that if we're gonna get alot of moisture around the end of Dec. it will probably be in the form of freezing rain and ice. We don't get much snow and what we do get comes in middle to late January through February. Now when I say that I'm not counting the dusting here and there, I'm talking about any kind of accumulation. One things for sure though if you don't like the weather were having today stick around a while it will change. Theres many a spring and fall day that you can start off with the heat on in the morning and have the AC on in the afternoon and back to the heat at night again.....:roll_eyes:

3. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kutter would know this one if he were to come out of his cave long enough. He is certainly good a knowing when thunderstorms are in the area!

4. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was talking to my Mother a couple mounths back. She told me that it was going to be a killing frost the 12th november because it thundered the 12th August so iam waiting to see we have been close a few times but not yet I will let you all know how it comes out. thanks Sam Davis

5. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Micheal , everyone in every state has a claim to " Waite a minute and the weather will change. " No dis respect intended to you. :wink:
    But, I've heard that since I was 8 yr's old. This used to get allot of laught's with the old folk's, espcieally from where I came from.
    I think the only reason they would laught is to keep from crying.

Sam, ask your mom for more of that kind of information. That's what I need to know. The good stuff. Seem's to me I remember the Elder's talking about thing's like that. You know , thunder and rain. Prediction of thing's to come.
    I remember that if you heard thunder in December, this ment a bad snow storm was on it's way with in 36 hr's. That is, in western New York area.

Vince - if what you say is true. Please go wake KUTTER up , so he can chime in on this info.

My personal prediction : Early in the morning between 5:30 and 7 am you will see widely scated light and about 5:30 pm to 7 pm you will see widely scaterd darkness. How's that for a prediction!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::big_smile_2:

6. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    My grandpa always went by how thick the hair was on wooly worms.

Aside from that subject, did you ever notice the old graveyard right in the old Wal-mart parking lot?

7. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    That's great , granpa's are a good source of info! But what did your grandpa tell you about the wooly worm ?
    Dark / lite, heavey or fine / color on the end's or what?
    Let us know what you remember for this kind of info.

It seem's we remember thing's that don't really matter at the time , but , we do remember thing's that were told to us, by our elder's. I would just like to share these thing's as we might get some preparedness for changing condistion's for the comming of winter.

It's been awihle since the last good snow / not to exclude, a very heay ice fall.
    Last year's /I feel , is just a pralude to the inevitable change for the cold that is to come.

Just like I've said. This month will be cold and a little moisture / warmer day's.

December More moisture and very cold night's / with cold sunshine in the day light hr's./ I don't think the ice will melt as fast as last year / and if we have snow , well the same as the ice. It won't go away as fast.

I think this is going to be a snowey Christmas this year! ( not Ice ):tounge_out:

8. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I will see what my brother can remember about the wooly worms.

That parkinglot is in Farmington.

9. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think from what i remember that with the wooly worm if they have a dark heavy coat it will be a cold winter was the indicator. There was sometype of tale also about watching the squirrels about storing up on the nuts and acorns.

It would be nice to see some snow around here so the kids can go sledding instead of all the nasty ice from the past.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I would say it's going to be cold this winter, but hell, it already is cold!

I remember one indicator that seems to make sense, when ya think about it.
    "When hornets nest are low to the ground, expect little snow in winter, when they are high up, expect lots of deep snow."
    While I can't verify the truth in that, I can say that I have noticed that in a given area, the hornets nest I have seen have all been either low or high. I have never seen one low an one high in the same area.

I too have always had a great interest in such things. It helps that my father was a farmer all his life an with his being 66 years old when I was born, he had been around awhile to learn an pass many things like what we are discussing, on to me. My interests are not solely in weather predictions. It mainly is an interest in anything the old folks used that today we are able to understand how it worked. Lots of info on medical stuff, like chewing on Green Weeping Willow leaves for a headache, have been proven to have merit. One of my favorites (yes, Vince) is to look at bubbles that form when rain hits a puddle. The more bubbles and the longer they sit before popping, the quicker the rain will end. If no bubbles, it'll rain all day. This too has been proven, as barometric pressure causes it to react as such. I have a complete set of original Foxfire books, which are recorded essays from old folks in Appalachia on how they survived. Today, thanks to the internet, there are many ways to look such things up.

Here's another one for you Vince. When fishing in a boat, have an AM radio turned on and tuned to a position where there is NO station. It will pick up lightning strikes long before you would hear them naturally.

By the way, Tom, I grew up in Arcadia.

11. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kutter.. You are just down right amazing at times! I figured you would have all the FoxFire books and would know if anyone would. So do we need to start calling you Ole Doc Kutter?? since you seem to know the medical stuff? :smile2:

12. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

hey one thing i do know is ol' kutter kane knows alot about rain!!!!!!!:smile2::wink:

13. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    The lightning will crackle on an AM band radio. Been using that one since the mid 70's.

:roll_eyes:Cutter: You are not the only one who has an almost complete set of "Foxfire". Got the first one in 1975. Really good reading, and helps understanding the old ways.

Also, every month Blackriver Electric Co-op sends me a magazine every month with "Weather Proverbs" inside the front cover. I'll save the next one unless someone else still has it for Nov.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    chech the seeds in the persimons if its shaped like a spoon its going to be cold and wet if its shaped like a knife it going to be a mild winter.

15. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    It make's for comfort feeling's that we haven't forgot everything Dad, Mom and Grandparent's have taught us.
    Hey Russel ! That's not right! Parking lot and grave sight :angry:! Go figure Walmart!

I'm alittle on the dangerous side for the lighting. I don't carry a radio / what's AM - :smile2:. Just kidding. Usaully My wife call's me on the cell and we get off the river cause she's west of ST. Gen. and I'm east on the mississippi. We can usaully see storm's out of ST. Louis way and high tail it. From the west is a different story though. If the wife is with me our neighbor's will call. If that don't happen / I will try to use a little common scence, then again I do get stormed on once and awhile. OH well! a little on the edge doesn't hurt / so far!
    Vince , sure would like to see some wooly worm's / but , the chicken's have eaten them all.:eek:oooh:. I had a ton of squaril's in the spring , but thing's got dry and they left for greener pasture's. After they ate all my tomatoe's. No acorn's or any nut's here! Hard to find any with so many cedar tree's around. What's a good way to keep them varmint's off the tomatoe's for next year? Beside's a 22. My first year here with a garden at the new place anyway.Soil wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

Kutter ( Tom ) Arcadia NY ?
    Haven't seen a good hornet's nest scince I moved from Morehead Kentucky to here..
    Did notice the tent worm's were high up this year instead of low like the past 3 yr's. ? Alway's was been told / tent high, worm's will fly. I geuss they need to hatch and get away from colder water. Did notice today a blad eagle hunting up the ST. France river above double D highway. Haven't seen them past 34 highway before now. ??? Could be nothing / I'm not sure. Just wondering?

16. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Willie / Is that a Buffallo Bill's jacket you got on?

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Tom.. Wooly worms have to be crossing the road to count.. Dark heavy wooly worm crossing the road during the day.. It,s gonna be a long winter with deep snow..

18. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    na, it's a old atl. braves

19. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Harold - get the hell out of the road before you get hit !:roll_eyes:.
    What in the heck, Are you looki'n at worm's in the middle of the road for ?:0a28:
    MOMA ! Slap this foulish child before harm come's to him.
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:. Just kiddi'n
    I know what you mean. I remember DAD talking about the wooly worm's running for the hiden rockey places before a heavy winter.
    I remember my Dad saying that the highway's ( black top ) confusie's them for hard rockey place's to hide for winter.

20. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    You go Willie , RED , White , and Blue.
    You got as much to roote about as I do !
    Go Bill's and Sabre's :confused2: Rarh!!!!!!