Old Timers and Superstitions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SouthGADan, Oct 9, 2009.

1. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    How many of you know older folk who have superstitions? My grandma has all sorts of old superstitions that she got from her mom. She follows the 12 signs of the Zodiac; just the other day she was telling my grandpa, "Now would be a good time to have you tooth pulled because the sign's in the head".

The other day, my grandpa accidentally called me by my cousin's name, then said, "Jesse must be thinking about me."

My great grandma actually believed many of them. I'm told she said Whippoorwills are bad luck, and, upon hearing one, she would tie a knot in the bed sheet to choke it. Also, if you dreamed about a wedding, it meant someone was going to die. I can't remember any other ones at the moment, but she was full of old sayings and superstitions.

My great grandpa, I'm told, would turn his hat 45 degrees when a rabbit crossed the road in front of him, then turn it back when another one did. Not sure if that was a superstition, or just one of his things he did.

This sort of thing is fascinating to me, although I don't believe any of them. I'm sure many of them have interesting stories behind them. Anyone else have any to add?

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My grandfather use to say, fishing when the wind is out of the west is the best, fishing when wind is out out east is at its least... He would not go fishing when the wind was out of the east either. I started checking my fishing and couldnt tell a difference, but he sure believed there was one.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    My grandma told em black cats were GOOD luck and i hold that one true..until i get bit

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Grandad always said if the wolly worm, was all black it was going to be a bad winter. Saw one the other day that was black from end to end . SO we will see in about 5 months.

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My grandmother would have a hissy fit if you laid a hat on the bed. One or two good backhands and we remembered that lesson:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    "if a broom falls, company is coming" i dont know if it has any bearing but..thats what the mother in law says

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    On the way to the Lake / River,,,
    If the cows where up grazing, it was going to be a good day fishing, :wink:
    If they where laying down, go back home...:confused2:
    Puddle

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i was going to tell you i found one on the back porch yesterday, and it was all black except one little stripe of brown almost dead in the middle. if thats true then it will be long and hard except a little piece in january. we will see...

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Not really a superstition as much as a saying my Dad always told us. He would say "Remember, you're no better than anyone else, but you're no worse either." He would tell my brother and I that when we were getting "too big for our britches". I just thought it was one of his sayings until I got older and looked up my family crest. Written on it, in Latin, are the words "Neither above nor below". I later asked my Dad where he picked up that saying and he said it was something that his Dad used to say. I guess it was one of those things that got passed down from generation to generation. Kinda cool I thought.

10. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Some very interesting ones on here; keep 'em coming guys.

I've also heard that if you get chills, someone's talking about you.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive heard some that arent appropriate ..:wink:

my grandpa was a professional alcoholic

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was thinking the same thing after viewing a couple the other day. Black from tip to tip.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you step on a crack, you could break your mothers back.
    Don't wear purple,,its a sign of death.
    Bad luck ahead, if you walk under a ladder.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i was a kid and went fishing with my grandpa he always spit on his hook.said the tabacco took the man smell off his bait.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The wife[34 yrs old] Says ,if your hand is itching that means your gonna get some money.

16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    My grandpa would always step on his minnows, then spit on them.I dont know why, but he did

17. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    my first wife always said never put a pair shoes on a table it means there will be a death in the family i did it without thinking one day and set a pair of kids shoes on the coffee table and she told me to getem off there . it may be true of this cause a few days later she had a heart attack and died true story so i will never do that again so the old saying must be somewhat true but who knows

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Wife says if left hand itches gonna get some money, if right hand itches, gonna get a bill.

19. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well i have heard alot of superstitious stuff my sister believes you must hold your breath going past a greaveyard so as to not disturb the dead also touch a screw as you go over the railroad tracks hear a hoot owl and spose to have a fish on the line i know theres more just cant remember them

20. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    my granny always said that if your left palm itched you were gonna handle money and if the right palm itched you were gonna shake hands with a stranger.