Old Timer Knife

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by drcatfish14, Mar 6, 2007.

1. drcatfish14

drcatfish14 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a few Old Timer knife's and I think they hold a good edge, but the blades seem to tarnish and get pitted. Does anyone know how to keep this from happening?

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used 3in1 oil for years on my guns and it seemed to work well.:smile2:

3. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    The knife I used for a lot of years (other than pocket knives) was a Shrade old Timer Sharp Finger. I love the design for skinning a buck, etc..., and the carbon steel is easy to sharpen. Problem, it discolors and rusts easily. Keeping it oiled will help. Blood will blacken it in a hurry. Lemon juice or vinegar will clean it up, but it still looks 'discolored'. My blade has looked this way for the last 14 years, and I still use it.
    My father-in-law made me a bowie (hand made and perfectly balanced), and I use that now, but my Old Timer still hangs in my pick-up cab.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ive never had a problem with my old timer tarnishing or pitting. I always wipe it clean when im done using it and every so often put a light coat of oil on it.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have a couple of oldies like that...it's part of their beauty. Sorta like old friends.:smile2: Same deal.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you sweat as bad as I do, You will have to take steal wool or an emery cloth to it from time to time to shine it back up. Then try to keep a thin coat of oil on it. They are good knives and easy to sharpen. I finally gave up on mine and put them on the shelf and bought a case with stainless blades. They are a little harder to sharpen but will hold an edge better than the old timers and you don't have to worry about them rusting.