Old time rasslin'

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ol Man, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yesterday my mind started wandering back when I was a kid and we had a black & white tv. Dad had to watch the rasslin' match's every week. How many of ya's remember the likes of Lou Thesz, Verne Gagne, Argentine Rocca, The Mighty Atlas, Killer Kowalski, Yukon Eric, Gorgeous George, just to name a few..?:cool2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hows about Bruno. LOL! Loved it in the 60's and 70's. Now its all skin and "BULL CRAP" LOL! Although all todays wrestlers can thank the "HULKSTER" for the money they are gettin.

"STAN the MAN STAZIAK" and his heart punch. LOL!

From the isle of Malta, "BARON MIGUEL SECLUNA" LOL!

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Don't forget Rufus R. Jones and "Bulldog" Bob Brown!

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I was a kid I listen to the Lone Ranger on the battery powered radio. I didn't know TV had been invented till I was 17 and then we didn't have one.
    But that could have been cause we were so poor.
    And you're the Ol Man? :big_smile:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I can remember Argentine Rocca and Gorgeous George. Also remember some that wresled in this area called Danny Hodge that could squeeze an apple with one hand to mush and ole Scandar Ackbar the one everyone hated.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    when i was a kid we didn't have a tv. occasionally i would spend friday night with my grandma and on sat morn she always watched wrestling. i well remember "The Medics":big_smile:

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My dad'd Mother we called her "Granny" I look back on it now and it was absolutely hilirious. I never seen in all my life a old lady get into it like she did! She'd set on the couch and she hollor"Don't just stand there get im"Then she double up her fists and it was almost like she was right in the middle of it.You could here her hollorin clear outside and ya know'd she had her rasslin on! Those were the days my friend!!:lol: :lol:

8. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    i can remember some in the 70's. my dads-dad (Pa) lived in a school bus in our driveway....he would sit in his straightback wooden chair and watch them....boy could he make that chair walk across the floor. at that time i was more enthused with him cause he was so comical than i was the wrasslin but i do remember them.

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We'd go down to the local Radio & TV repair shop where they had a TV displayed in their window and stand outside in the rain and snow sometimes to watch it, and we weren't the only ones there. We didn't get our own till I was in my teens...:wink:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I joined a health club last year, spent about $400. Haven't lost a pound. Apparently you have to show up.

10. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Yea we all watched it, Lord Latham, the german with the dreaded claw hold, Bobo brazil, I think we're giving up our age...what a difference in time.

11. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    how about Don Eagle and Buddy Rodgers Bo Bo Brazil

12. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    The oldest wrestler i remember is the Iran Sheik, and George the Animal Steel...I have seen footage of georguos George, and shows about him, but i never saw him in action

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    We still refer to the first tv days as the " Good Ole Days". Thanks for the memories.:big_smile:

14. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it was staged less in the old days, I seen killer Kavosky kill a man. He picked him up and dropped him on head, the guys neck broke. I seen Yukong Aric do a knee drop to the side of someones head and that guy lost 1/2 of his ear. They are much better actors today.:smile2:

15. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yeah, I remembered Owen Hart gettin thrown off that high platform to his death. I watched wrestlin when I was younger, but that's not that long ago for some of y'all, since I watched in the mid to late 90's.

16. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I REMEMBER THEM ALL. GOT ME HOOK ON THE STUFF LOL

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
  18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dick the bruiser , harley race ,ric flair , rufus brown , the von erics,
    eduard carpentier those were the days when i enjoyed watching wrestling.
    my 10 year old is into the wrestling of today and its hard for me to
    watch for some reason.:roll_eyes:

19. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    In Okla. City in the early 50s, my folks were so poor they couldn't even pay attention. We had a big building here in OKC, that would be converet into a "resslin" arena on Sat night. My folks would pick up pop bottles to resell for 2 cents each so we could go to the matches. Oh yes we always got backstage passes. They had a wrestler here named Farmmer Jones, and he always took his pig in the ring with him. Man I haven't thought about that in years.
    Thanks for jogging my memory, what little is left.

Also the first TV show I ever saw was Amos N' Andy in 1953. They hace come a long way sence then

20. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    The ones I remember from childhood are Jake the Snake Roberts and Hacksaw Jim Duncan. My brother and I have had many stunts performed from the top rope of dads recliner. As far as tv these days, I would rather listen to the Lone Ranger that to subject my son to the crap on TV now. In fact, I havent had TV for 3 years now. There are other bills that are more important and Walmart is stocked with plenty Disney movies. Trout and I are watching Finding Nemo right now...\\

Dru