Old soliders and civilians don't mix well

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fwmud, Nov 18, 2005.

1. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    If you've ever gone into the High Intensity area, you might see a trend. Most times, it's the old soliders on one side and the 'civies" on the other. Not really pitted against each other,but, not seeing eye to eye either.
    No matter which you might be, heres a couple things that one must remember about the other.

Soliders share a special bond with one another. They do worse things , for far less pay than most civies would even think about doing.
    A solider who has seen combat, will very easily get hot because you, as a civie, may question his means, his motive, or his intentions. Strangers once,but , once they've been under fire together, theres no going back. It's a bond of brotherhood that knows no end. Yes,time and distance may seperate them. Years passing by may cloud their memories. But, they will never forget the ones whom they "went thru the fire with". If you make the mistake of doubting them or their commrades, and God forbid, you slip past the point of no return and bring insult,disgrace or disrespect on their fallen brothers, then the good lord be with you. You'll need it.
    I will not belittle my brothers here or the ones who have passed with making a big deal over my service other than the fact I may have been through some smal fires. Much better men than me abide on this site, let alone the rest of the country.
    I only opened this thread as maybe just a small reminder to some. Not a put down, nor is it a " tooting of horns". Just that, a small little reminder. Be careful how things are worded. These men did great things so that we all might speak our minds, rant and rave here. We have members still doing this today. Whether or not you agree with anything or everything thats being done today in America's name, tend first to the ones who are on constant watch for your freedom.
    Please do not think that this post is anything to do with me. Just ignore the fact that I even wrote it. Just remember who it is written for, thats what is important.
    Being a family memeber of, son or daughter of, or married to one, isn't the same as being a Vet. they have their own reasons for the things they do.
    Take care, Keith

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Very well worded, thank you for the reminder.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    being a vet myself, Keith you nailed it!! I was in Viet Nam 1968 to 1969, I was in the first Iraq war. I can remember my door gunner in Nam and my driver in Iraq. both were and are good men. Jim Besok, thanks for protecting the right side or the helicopter, Bobby Jones for driving me to HQ in the dark for a meeting with the commander. I will never forget!!

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i haven't seen that keith...i have not been in service myself, but my dad, uncles, cousins, etc., have been

i am all about doing for our vets. i think they need more retirement, medical, and much much more. they put their lives on the line for me. my dad was a C.O., but that didn't stop him from landing troops on iwo jima when we were trying to take that island. he piloted a troop landing boat

had vietnam gone on for 6 more months, i would have been drafted.....i was next in line for that one.

i haven't dodged service, but i am not upset i missed nam. i have friends and family that went, and i will always be an advocate of our vets.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I wouldve given you a rep point but I need to spread it around I guess. Great reading there Keith

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Keith, you need a military thread like we had on old site so we can keep up with all the Military threads. LOL.

I'm posting this here.

I just talked to my Nephew. Called me on an internet phone. He called from Korea. Man I was surprised. It was kind of funny when I answered the phone. I didn't say a word cause caller ID didn't tell me who was calling. Finally he said something and we laugh over me getting ready to dog a solicitor. I'm glad he spoke up are I would have missed talking to him. He has been there 2 years. Army, E4. Works on helicopters. I'll let him talk about himself. LOL. He wanted to know about this site so I gave him the quick run down.
    I bet he signs up tonight or checks it out. You guys give him a big welcome. I know I didn't have to say that.
    Sure was good to here from him. Holidays coming up, guess he might be getting a little home sick. He's been training hard but that's what its all about. I'm sure before his time is up he will touch ground in Iraq. He's a good man and we miss him being around. Sure would be nice to see him on bird day next week. His brother been staying with us off and on for the past month.
    Anyway, he is going to check out BOC.

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Amen Keith! That was a great post you made. I appreciate that and it is something that I have never known how to explain or say to civilians so I just never tried. You hit the nail on the head though on this one and although I now am a civilian, I wasn't always and its not civilian life that has shaped my thought process, values, opinions, and my outlook on life, it was the military. I went in at 17 and spent 10 years, so that was basically all that I knew. I have been out since 2001 and it was a big transition, so big I am still working on it now. I really miss it, but I like being married more than I like being in the Army I guess (lol). Anyway, thanks for the post Keith!

8. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Dano, If by some fluke , he doesn't join right away, can you get his permission to post his mailing address here?
    I'd be honored to write him and send him a little something in the mail.
    Thanks Dano, you posted in the right place as far as I'm concerned brpo!

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Keith I just re read your post. Good post. I had just got off phone with my Nephew and hadn't finished reading the whole thing.
    I wsn't trying to change your thread. Just thought since he was singing up right now that i could post it here in a Military thread.
    Anyway. good post

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOL Keith, you posted right before me. You can see how slow my connection is.

Keith, I can't give out his email address. My wife has mailing address and she is not home. I would have to ask him first. Nothing against you or anything but he has to give the ok on his Information being handed out. I dont like doing that. Hope you understand. I'll ask him in a few minutes.
    My email is down right now.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    dano, thats what I meant, his mailing address IF he says it's ok.
    Or if he doesn't want everyone to have it, then maybe a PM with it?
    Either way, when ya email him, tell him for me,
    "Brother, you have a lot more that standing with and beside you, than you do against you".
    (Plus , guys like him, kept the bird i was in flying and in the air)

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Kieth great post. It never amazes me how civies will put down a vet or a current active duty soldier. I see it everyday where I live just makes me want to choke these locals here.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Keith, I sent him an email last night and asked him about address. Done deal..

I think he had to go to work are something. He is very busy. They are always in training for combat. His job is to keep those choppers etc flying amoung other things. This morning paper said Bush was there for a short stop. I'm sure security was tighten up..
    Anyway, I passed your message on to him. I'm sure he will appreciate it.
    He just turned 21. Its kind of looking like He just might be headed to Iraq around July 05. That is when he will be done in South Korea area and not real sure whats next for him.
    He still has 4 years left on a 6 year deal.
    I guess they will all get a turn at Iraq sooner or later. Maybe if he goes to Iraq he will
    hook up with my buddy who is there now. They know each other. We all live in same
    area.

I gotta say, it was good to hear his voice on phone yesterday. We talked about an hour. Email is good but nothing like hearing a voice. Did him some good too.

14. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    Truer woords were never written civies and us do not mix on many things but a lot of civies try to onder stand or think they do. They need to experance the egge and tomotoes when you got back to the states or being called a baby killer by some long haired hippy even today and it always hurts.

15. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I've never been in the military. I did however serve in the Rotc program with all of my friends the four years i was in school. Those were some of my fondest memories. We all were there for one another through thick and thin. We would go to boot camp for two weeks each year, get gassed the whole nine yards just in a two week period. Shoot the rifle range, all of it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Shoot rifle team all through school and even have to wear a uniform two days a week and go through inspection. All of us took care of one another. It, i will say had a direct impact and given me a great respect for soldiers.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Keith,

Another great post. I totally agree with what you said. Thanks for saying it.

I personally don't see how anyone that's never served in the military can bad mouth the military. For my part what they say doesn't mean squat to this old buzzard.
    :rolleyes:

17. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Awesome post Keith,

Very well written, and there are a lot of us here, that's been, or still is, in the Military....

Thank you Sir...

18. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great post Keith. Attached is a pic that I'm sure several of us can relate to. Seen situations like this entirely too many times. All I can say is if I'm there ya better stand and take off the hat or you are gonna find out where I'm comein from.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    george. that pic says a million words.

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The most important thing to me as a 24 year veteran,as the son of a man the fought in WWll,&Korea and with a son in the Army is there is NO difference between Veterans and civilians.We weren't born soldiers, we were civilians first and those of us lucky enough returned to being civilians.It was more common in the past to badmouth the military in general.During the Vietnam war it was perfected and became an artform.It was like the military is beamed down from another planets to fight wars but you wouldn't want your daughter to marry one of them.The Citizen soldier is a proud tradition in this country,civilians that hear the call of duty,step forward and serve and return to civilian life.One of the most common sayings of the Vietnam era Army was "I can't wait to get out and return to CIVILIAN life".Those soldiers some people love to hate are sons and daughters of civilians,they are your kids,doing whats right and serving their country when many could only think of ways to avoid it.If you have been actively engaged in fighting a war and people are shooting at you and you are lucky enough to survive then your whole perspective changes.You are never the same and things that are important to those who haven't are not so important after all.We arent special,we arent glorious heros,we arent baby killers we are YOU,we came from YOU we fought for YOU and we return to being just like YOU.Now I might use braid and you prefer mono but we are all the same.Its just that after you serve and fight we just can't explain it to you because you have to experience it.Nothing more than that.Thankfully this country has re discovered its love affair with its military if not with war.Whoopi Goldberg said it best during Gulf War l when she said "You may hate war but those are our children and you can't hate them" This was at a hollywood rally for the troops.This Thanksgiving just give thanks for the fact that it seems there are always motivated young people ready to step forward and serve when the difficult times come.Remember this,there is nobody on the planet more fervently wishing for peace than the man in the foxhole.Love you all and I was proud to do my little part for people just like you!!!