Old school hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by laidbck111, Jul 13, 2006.

1. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Last night I went to go fishing but needed to pick up a few extra hooks so I stop at the local marina/bait shop and they don't carry any circle hooks are kahle so I bought some off set 3/0 and tru-turn 2/0 hooks. I wouldn't be posting this except I had 100 percent hook-ups on bites that "loaded' the rod. With all of the advancements in fishing technologies it was nice to return to basics and still catch fish. Bait was large minnows both live and cut as they died.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Benji there tried and true Thanks for the post. I think sometimes we all get cought up in new styles and we just have to have them. Although I love my Kahli Hooks. J.D.Straka :cool2:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks J.D. I am glad to know I am not the only one that "visits the past" every now and agian.

4. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Those "old timers" will get the job done when good and sharp. I have some of all, and they all have their good points. Good to hear you had good luck. Tight lines bro ! Jack :smile2:

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I know what you mean. I use circles and kahles but I have a quite a lot of offset 3/0 hooks in my box. You just can't beat the price either, $3.XX for 50 at Walmart.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    In still use the old school hooks when i float fish...better hook up rate...and i like using bait holders so they have to tug a little harder on that bait:crazy:

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I some times come across old fashihoned tackle along the bank where I fish and see old hooks. It looks like they took a knife and sliced the shaft right under the point to make the barb and some type of tool to make the loop. Now thats old! I'v been having trouble with those circle hooks on cats but love em' for crappies and panfish!