Old school fisherman

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfisherman369, Sep 17, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I am the kind of guy who when something works for me I dont change it . I been catfishing for 34 years and have always used J hooks or treble hooks depending on the bait I am using . Well even old hard headed fools like myself can learn new things . This year I tried different lines , baits and circle hooks . I caught alot more bigger fish this year doing so . Who knows next year I may become a river fisherman using big hooks and live bait ...lol .
    I owe it to the b.o.c. for helping me change to bigger and better things .
    I still use the stick/dip bait but will always have a pole set up with cut bait from now on . Also in my land of never changing things I used sonnies dip bait since 1999 and tried secret 7 this year and now I am hooked on the stuff .

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    congrats old timer :wink:

i hated dip baits until i actually used them properly lol, went from catchin nothin but tiny channels to a few 7 and 8 lb channels almost immediatly, and that sure helps pass teh time while im not catchin nuthin on that "big river gear" lol

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the 21st century brother.:smile2::wink:

4. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I wasnt an old timer but I thought I had it all figured out... Until I figured it all out and switched it up... I am constantly changing what Im doing but what does stay constant is cut bait for channels

5. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Who says ya can't teach an old dog new tricks? :wink:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Tell me you haven't been using the same rods and reels for 34 years?:wink::smile2:

I too have experimented with circle hooks a little this year and am really impressed with the hook up ratio.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Floyd sometimes its better to switch than fight. Its hard to teach an old fisherman new tricks. We are all set in our ways. I agree the BOC has had lots of postive affects on me also. Good post.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    well I must say I'm still getting educated and schooled by some of the old timers. you may learn a trick or two but you've probably forgot more things than I presently know.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    YUP(LOL) gotta love the B.O.C.....oh yeah!

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I understand exactly what you are talking about. I also use to fish with stink bait and night crawlers. I fished very comfortable spots along the river with no currrent and nice flat sandy banks to set up my chair and listen to the Cardinal game. I used 7-8 ft rods with spinning reels. Problem was I caught fish in the 3-5lb range. Then a few years back I started hanging around the dam and watched a few guys catch fish in the 30-60lb range, and the comfortable fishing was over for me. I now use 12' casting rods with Abu reels and #65 power pro. Nothing but cut bait and fishing in the current with snags on about every cast, walking on rocks all the time and very seldom sitting in the chair because I am constantly throwing my sabiki rig or the cast net trying to find bait. But when a 30-50lb blue puts a freight train hit on your rod, there is nothing like it for me. I am still looking for a nice comfortable spot on the river where I can catch big blues, but I don't know if the two go together. Good luck.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    lol no but I still have a few from 30 years ago lol . Rod and reels are one thing I upgrade alot . I am always on the hunt for rods and rels at auctions and yard sales . I just picked these 3 Abu's up at an auction last night . Payed a whole 10.00 for each . You would be suprised at the deals you find .