Old Sayings, Quotes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    FOR All You People That Have Plenty Of Time To Read

The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross
    and which bridge to burn.............so choose carefully.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A whistling girl and a crowing hen always come to some bad end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Never give the devil a ride, he will always want to drive

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If God leads you to it, he will lead you through it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.

Cry when you need to, laugh when you can. Either
    way the sun comes up tomorrow on a new day.

That in which is striking and beautiful, is not always beautiful,
    but that which is good is always beautiful.

I don't try to explain to people why I ride a Motorcycle. For those
    who have experienced the joy no explanation is necessary. For
    those who haven't, no explanation is possible.

It is better to be a little lonely than to be a whole lot miserable.

Come home early, nothing good ever happens after midnight.

When you say "I can't", you actually mean "I don't want to".

Never own ANYTHING you aren't willing to drill a hole in.

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man wealthy and wise.

The press will shape your opinion if you don't keep yourself informed.

When I take action I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt.

Any nation who disarms its people can expect them to be persecuted.

God doesn't necessarily call the qualified, he qualifies the called.

Never give up a true friend, they will stay till the end.

Man never went to the moon. It was all staged in a studio.

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    The good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    And the eyesight to tell the difference.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear
    bright until you hear them speak.

Your enemies can hurt you, but only your fear defeats you!

Only those who risk going too far will ever know how far they can go.

True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom
    known until it is lost.

Only those who attempt the absurd will acheive the impossible.

From a redneck: Ever day za gamble, I figger if I wake up in the morning I'm ahead.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone who has'nt got a little bit of a temper is not worth killing.

The problem with management is that they can't see the people thru the ties.

We sometimes feel that what we do is just a drop in the ocean,
    but the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

Kindness costs nothing, but pays big dividends.

Letting the cat out of the bag is a lot easier than putting it back in.

The hardest part of raising your child is the same as
    teaching them to ride a bike. It's letting them go.

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.

There's two theories about arguing with a woman, neither one works.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been
    bombing over the years been complaining?

Things are not always what they seem, A stopped clock is right twice a day!

There are three kinds of men. The one who learns by reading. There's a few who
    learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

If something sounds too good to be true it is probably false.

It is poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.

A person who has never made a mistake has never done anything.

Think about it, we learn most of what we know from mistakes, if we get burned, cut,
    bruised, scraped, or a knot put on our head we don't do it that way again.

Good judgment comes from experience, unfortunately experience
    usually comes from bad judgment.

Any country that accepts abortion, is not teaching its people to love,
    but to use any violence to get what it wants.

Hug a teacher today, if it wasn't for them you would not be reading this.

Never ASSUME anything, it makes an ASS of U and ME

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? Just wondering...

Why do you suppose the Kamikaze pilots wore helmets?

Downfall usually comes from within.

It is very troubling to me that doctors have a "practice".

Be nice to nerds. You will probably work for one someday.

"640 K of memory should be enough memory for anyone".
    Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly.

No one has to know what you paid for it.

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.

Never say never!

You are what you eat.

"Computers of the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons"

I feel the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion.

There is nothing new...about old sayings.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Humans control planet Earth now, but in time it will get back to normal.

If nothing is impossible, then how do you dribble a football.

If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

If guns kill people, then it must be said that pencils misspell words.

"I think there will be a world market for about five computers".

"But what is the microchip going to be good for?"

Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.

All churches have a problem, they have people (sinners) in them, but
    the presence of God outweighs the problem.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Why? Just because I said so.

The old classic, two wrongs do not make a right.

If you can't say something good about someone, then say nothing.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

What goes around comes around.

If you love someone let them go, if they come back they're
    yours forever, if they don't they never were.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss
    will add it to your regular duties.

"People who think they know everything are a great
    annoyance to those of us who do."

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

"Thanks to the interstate hiway system it is now possible
    to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.

"Television has proved that people will look at anything rather than each other"

A bank is a place that will lend you money if
    you can prove that you don't need it.

The better part of one's life consists of his friendships.

A friend is someone who knows all about you but likes you anyway.

Real friends give their best and the best comes back to them.

It's best to remain silent and thought a fool, than to
    open mouth and remove all doubt.

In America anyone can become president. It's just one of the risks you take.

When justice is done it brings joy to the righteous and terror to evildoers.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just,
    and that his justice cannot sleep forever.

I remain just one thing, and one thing only - and that is a clown,
    for it places me on a far higher plane than a politician.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Well done is better than well said.

If you see someone without a smile, give him or her one of yours.

A friend is one who goes around saying nice things about you behind your back.

Give your husband an inch and he'll think he's a ruler.

We can do no great things, only small things with great love.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Our lives are like quilts, bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while
    leaving footprints in our heart, and we are changed forever.

A wise man talks when he has something to say, a fool talks just to be talking.

Where there's a will, there's away! And where there's a will there's relatives.

Nothing ruins the truth like stretching it.

You get no knowledge from the second kick of the mule.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the
    Ark and professionals built the Titanic.

People gladly fight for their religion, but reluctantly follow it's rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Red and yellow black and white they precious in his sight,
    Jesus loves the little children of the world.
    When you get to heaven you'll be surprised who is there,
    and surprised at who is not there.

Whatever we allow in moderation our children accept in excess.

:look_down: :0010:

:cat:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

all true and should be remembered and used

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Whatever you think, don't never, unless you will.

4. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away when you criticize them. And you have their shoes.

5. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thats great buddy, very true. thanks

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great sayings, have seen a few, but have not seen most. Thanks for sharing.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great post! I was just thinking about quotes, today. I've loved them all my life.

"The water hose is heavy, going uphill."

Thanks for sharing.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If your found here at night, you will be found here in the morning.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    One boy is worth half a man, two boys are worth half a boy and three boys are worth nothing at all.
    This phrase comes from the old apprenticeship system in England...W

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Heres one straight from my momma's year book.

"Never smoke behind a cow with gas!"

11. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good stuff! Thanx for posting Ace.

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    "What makes grumpy old men, grumpy old men, is that they look back on their lives and aren't proud of the things they've accomplished, and realize now it's too late change the past." Gork

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Well considering the bombers are twice as old as it's crews and maintainers....

SudDawg

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    "Pay what you owe, and what you're worth you'll know"
    "if it werent for the belly the back might wear gold"
    "He that spills the rum, loses that only; He that drinks it, often loses that and himself"
    "though modesty is a virtue, bashfulness is a vice"
    "a Genius without education is like Silver in the mine"
    "we may give advice, but we cannot give conduct"
    "Ambition often spends foolishly what Avarice had wickedly collected."
    "the discontented man finds no easy chair"
    "the cat in gloves catches no mice"
    "Love thy neighbor; yet don't pull down your hedge"
    "Lend money to an enemy, and thou'lt gain him, to a friend and thou'lt lose him"
    "Don't overload gratitude; if you do, she'll kick you."
    "He that sowes thorns, should not go barefoot"

I have a ton more... I really enjoy ol' Ben Franklin...LOL! :p

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    This is not really a quote, but I thought it appropriate for this thread.

THE SPOONS

A holy man was having a conversation with the Lord one day
    and said, "Lord, I would like to know what Heaven and Hell
    are like."

The Lord led the holy man to two doors. He opened one of
    the doors and the holy man looked in.

In the middle of the room was a large round table. In the
    middle of the table was a large pot of stew which smelled delicious
    and made the holy man's mouth water.
    The people sitting around the table were thin and sickly. They
    appeared to be famished. They were holding spoons with very
    long handles that were strapped to their arms and each found it possible to reach into the pot of stew and take a spoonful, but
    because the handle was longer than their arms, they could not
    get the spoons back into their mouths. The holy man shuddered
    at the sight of their misery and suffering. The Lord said,
    "Youhave seen Hell."

They went to the next room and opened the door. It was exactly
    the same as the first one. There was the large round table with
    the large pot of stew which made the holy man's mouth water. The
    people were equipped with the same long-handled spoons, but
    here the people were well nourished and plump, laughing and talking.
    The holy man said, "I don't understand.

"It is simple" said the Lord, "it requires but one
    skill. You see, they have learned to feed each other. While the greedy think
    only of themselves. "A friend is someone who reaches for your hand,
    and touches your heart." "People say true friends must always hold hands, but true friends don't need to hold hands because they
    know the other hand will always be there."

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

16. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Those are all very true, lol, thanks Ace!

17. My most favorite saying of them all or rather a way of life for the military.

"Don't stand to close to someone who says - watch this, its gonna be so cool"

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Those were great,Thanks for sharing!

19. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    :lol: :lol: Aint that the truth!

I like the simple......"Keep on Keepin on!"