Old saying

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by RCollier, Oct 14, 2007.

1. RCollier

RCollier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Probably an old wives tale but there was a saying my Grandpa used to tell me that i can't remember that pertained to the direction the wind blew it went something like if it blows from the east they bite the least the west they bite the best I can't remember the rest anyone know?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When the wind is out of the south, it will blow the hooks into their mouth.
    When the wind is out of the north, stay home by the fire.

3. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    My Grand father has told my that too!

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Got to be positive!!

Wind out of the west fish bite the best.

Wind out of the east fish bite like a beast.:smile2:

5. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good one!:wink::big_smile:

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    that is for sure on the positive side chris lol

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    There actually is more to the old "West/Fish bite the best...East/Fish bite the least...North/Don't go forth...South/Blows it right into their mouth....than just folk lore.

A general atmospheric rule comes into play here....southerly and westerly winds tend to bring moisture, warmer air, and low pressure....easterly and northern winds tend to bring high pressure fronts, colder air, and as a result...lower catch ratios along with them.

The barometer is your best friend when determining prime times...as well as moon phases...although I've not ever let a chart or an instrument talk me out of going fishing. IMO...the best time to go is whenever you can.

The 4 days preceding and following both a full moon and a new moon have been my absolute BEST occurences of productive catches of both big fish and quantity of fish....barring an occurence such as run off/water levels rising or falling....or the sudden warming of the water by a few degrees during cold or cool weather.

http://www.weather.com/activities/r...ishingarticle.html?from=fishing_forecast#peak

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Mickey--I think you made up that last line, but it sounds good to these old bones.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The best time to fish is when you have time to go reguardless of wind direction. Our last trip out we caught over 100 lbs. of fish and the wind was out of the east all day. Theres lots of variations to the old wives tail but around here i've heard..... The wind out of the north the fish will come forth.....The wind out of the south the fish open their mouth......The wind out of the west the fish will bite the best.....The wind out of the east the fish will bite the least.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    And when the wind is comein outa your butt. The bucks are in rutt. LOL!

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Leg must hurt, 'eh George. Time for a pain pill. Stick your finger in the air and see which way the winds blowing. John. Now George, not that finger.

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am with Johnny. Just go and have fun being outdoors in the nature.

13. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    cheap fish gauge glass quart jar and a glass coke bottle and some water, when the water rises in the bottle fish are biteing

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I've seen a day when there was more truth to that statement than you could possibly have intended.

I saw the biggest buck I've ever seen alive...and was holding a gun at the time....and nearly sh!t my self.

I was 12...my first deer hunt. It was getting close to dusk a december day in 1981.

Grandpa walked a creek and left me at the truck blocking the field at the other end.

He told me the buck would squirt out of the timber right exactly where it did.

I was gawking at the old Winchester 30/06 I was holding in my hands...admiring it.

I looked up...and saw this HUGE 16 point + Kansas swamp buck standing there...300 yds away.

He was none other than ol' Mooey himself. (His nickname due to his being bigger than some of the cows we'd slaughter on the farm)

I can't repeat what my first comment (It was most inappropriate) was upon seeing him standing there...and then he saw me.

He had nowhere to go but by me...and he ran with his chin about 6 inches off the ground...dodging ...ducking...and zig-zagging the whole way.

I shot 5 times at that buck...and I was shaking like a birdog squeezing out a peach seed.

At the 5 th shot...he was only 40 yards away from me.

I fired...and to my amazement he rolled...and got back up and ran into the timber.

I skipped school the next day to look for him...and we looked HARD...but found nothing....no blood...Nothing.

I went back to the truck...dejected...sat down on the tailgate...and cracked open a pepsi.

I looked up...and in the SAME spot...there stood a decent little 8 point.

Like he was just standing there..."Hi...how ya doin'?"

I picked up the rifle laying beside me in the truck bed....aimed carefully...squeezed...and that little 8 point dropped in his tracks at 300 yards....right through his spinal cord in his neck.

You know...it was my first deer...but it was bitter sweet.

I just couldn't get excited about it after missing that HUGE buck standing in the same spot this one was...and found myself almost wishing I had missed him as well. (I only wish that was to be my ONLY disappoinment in life...lol)

That buck has haunted my dreams ever since that day...I have worked my a$$ off over the years to get another opportunity like that.

Never have seen another deer that big in the flesh....and I'm sure that someday when i let my guard down...and am giving up is when I'll see him again. Just my luck...lol.

Sorry that was off topic...just thought I'd share it since George jogged my memory. (Sometimes those spontaneous stories are the best ones.)

If nothin' else...just blame it on George...Lol.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Remind me not to be down wind from BG and Postbeetle.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Especially during the rut :eek:oooh::smile2:!!!

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Troy, I am from Iowa. Downwind from a hog confinement is much worse than I or BG after a chili festival. Talk about stinkbait.

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You gotta get in here too? Gawd, you come from the land of the Oz's. Hillary and Billary, there is no direction the wind doesn't blow. Gotta find George, see what he's doing today. Misery loves company.

19. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have heard that saying, and think there is some truth to it as well, but I agree that there are time when the rules don't matter, its just the right or wrong time