Old Saltwater Fishing Reels help?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bayoubear, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    I was just given two old saltwater reels by a friend of mine and was looking for some opinions on them. Ive never owned salt gear before and am curious as to what exactly it is i have. I'll b posting in the fishing rod thread too.

reel one: Penn senator 4/0 , excellent to very good condition

two: olympic 303 vo-auto very good to good condition

any comments welcome.
    the penn is for the rod ill post in the other thread.

thanks,
    chad

2. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    That Penn reel is a great reel you have. Contact GATOR (BOC Memeber) and he can give you more info as he is a Penn freak (meaning VERY knowledgeable!)

Frank

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The Penn 4/0 is it a 113 or a 113H and do you want to sell it?

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    the underside of the reel is stamped 30-113

no i dont want to sell it, is a gift from a friend to use catfishing on the river. besides, ebay is full of them. any info on this reel id be grateful.

thanks,

5. paatchen

paatchen New Member

State:
    NC
    I just acquired a 4/0 stamped 30/113 and would like to know about the reel. Any information about use and maintenance would be appreciated. Thanks much,
    Topher

6. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    all my salt gear are penns the old school ones all have 80lb mono or even 120lb mono ,
    the drags go super tight and they rarely break and if they do break they are repairable .

casting can be hard but if you on a boat them your gona drop em straight down any way,
    if your wanting to get some long casts outa them them stick the penn on a long surf rod.

bad part is you will straighten hooks out unless you go to 2x 3x strength hooks.

they work very well but they have a very low ratio as in al most 1-1 very slow to reel in a fish but CAN AND WILL force a fish in the drags on these are a beast . hope i answered some of you questions gl