Old Rod ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Flamekeeper, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Found this 8 1/2' Heddon in a pawn shop, had a ABU reel on it, which I sold to my Bro for 30..I paid 54.00 for the whole thing, and this rod is in almost mint condition. I have 24. invested..Anybody know anything about old rods that can shed some light on this Rods worth..If anything.?.

Brown trimar thread it looks like. the yellow looking underwrap stuff really looks like bone colored finish on the blank.Also the farrel is made of same material as blank I guess?. Not 1 thread messed up ,all original decal's in place..Blank # 8710 8 1/2.. as shown..

pretty clean rod, must have been sitting in Grampa's Closet..:wink:

Attached Files:

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    have a couple more

Attached Files:

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This a do it. What do you guys think? Good buy or what?.

Attached Files:

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Kenny if that old rod is made anything like there lure's ...I'd say you did great!!!!

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    :smile2:Forgot to say if anything you can alway's do a wall hang and let people guess what kinda rod it is?

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good looking rod.....I'd say you got a good deal there! I used to have a heddon that looked similar and it was a very good rod and landed many big fish. I don't know about its value though.

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    sweet--- MADE IN USA:wink:

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    according to my book your rod could be worth from 9.99 to 49.99.the only way to know what its worth is to put it on the market and see what it will bring.finding a collector of heddon rods is your best bet.i collect old lures and bamboo fly rods and some of these rods go high,lots more than i can afford but i keep trying.youve already done more than most of us have and thats found one in mint condition.well done.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Nice find!

If it doesn't have metal ferrules, it's not as old as me, though.:wink:

I can remember reading in Field and Stream that if you rolled the male ferrule around on your nose, it would provide enough lube to keep 'em from sticking together. There were an awful lot of two-piece rods that grew up to be one-piece, back then.:big_smile:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I remember reading that, too, Dave. Still do it. And to take them apart, put the rod behind your knees, knees together, grasping the rod on both sides of your knees, and use your knees to provide the pressure to pull the rod apart. You get a straight pull that way.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i read that same pice you roll the male part on the side of your nose whear it joins your face the oil colects thear and it does work iv used that trick for years god i am geting old arnt i dont anser that lol

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This is what I needed to know,,,one of a kind find IMO:cool2:

Tom Kirkman ,rodbuilding.

That is a glass-over sleeve ferrule. Somewhat unique as most were still using metal to metal ferrules at that time. It was built in the mid to late 1960's. A good rod in its day. Heddon was a major manufacturer and known for producing top quality products. They were one of the long time stalwarts in the American tackle industry for over a century.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    its a good looking rod nice pice to add to the colection