old rod needs new guides

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Viksagogo, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Viksagogo

Viksagogo New Member

State:
    Washington
    i've got an old 7" salmon rod that would work great but the eyes are so rusted you can break them with a flick. I need to know what kind of eyes i should get for it and how to replace them. These old ones were attached with whipping twine and i have larger wipping twine for my ropes. whould this be o.k. and if so, how do i tie the knot. Also, if their is an easier way to do this without losing strength please tell me.

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i would try mudhole.com for the guides. id also mark where the old guides are now to save time measuring later. i also recommend gudebrod d weight nylon thread for wrapping, then color preserver if yer concerned about whether the thread fades or not, then rod finish to cover the thread. by the way, there is no knot! you wrap the thread once around the pole, then pull it over itself, and keeping tension on it wrap the thread aroundthe pole and over the tag end 5 times. then cut the tag end and continue wrapping up the guide foot until yer about 10 wraps from the end. then cut about a 6 inch piece of separate thread, put the 2 ends together forming a loop at the other end. then wrap this piece into the guide wrap. finish wrapping, keeping tension on the wrap cut the thread from the spool, then put the end through that loop formed by the 6 inch thread, now pull the 2 ends of that 6 inch thread and pull the end of the wrap thread under the wrap and trim off. oh, also, when you get new guides, you'll need to file down the guide feet into a nice taper so the thread wraps on better.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If that rod is glass or graphite, it may be on the brittle side. Rod blanks get old. You may want to compare the cost of new guides versus investing in a new rod.

4. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The inside of the top guide on my crappie pole was worn out..cut it off the end of the pole and glued on another one i bought...it has since come loose so need to glue it again...any suggestions on glue?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The glue normally used to attach tiptop guides is very similar to hot glue. Heating the tip will let you simply slide it off the rod. You can use a tiny bit of hot glue to attach the new guide.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    wally world has tip top glue.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

For the rod tip I just heat the guide up a little and twist it off with pliers. As for putting on a new one I use glue stick. I have no idea about the rest of the guides though.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I take mine to the "Rod Shop". I tell him jokes while he fixes it.

He does'em for free cause he says no one can make him laugh like I can:big_smile: