Old reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Phil Washburn, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a couple of old reels and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them

one is an OceanCity 113, made in philadelphia, and the other is a Penn Peer 109

thanks

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    phil i have an old ocean city, but i dont know a thing about it. i was told they went out of biz. ill have to get it out and see the mdl. its a bigol thing and came on a split bamboo hvy rod.

hope one of the other bros. can help you cause i wouldnt mind learning a bit myself.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    phil,mine is a 110mdl#.

4. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I think they still make the 109s. I have an old one as well. It's a solid little reel, but a knuckle burner if your casting. ;) The handle turns as the line goes out.

5. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I got a bronsonAction rod. Have yall ever heard of that? it is built together with the rod. and is a spinnin reel it says bronson 63.on it.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Phil Penn still makes the 109. That is a good little reel there. As far as the Ocean City reels they are also good reel. The man that started Penn Reels got his start working for Ocean City. He decided he could make a reel cheaper and better built so he left them and started his own company. And, by the time is was said and done Penn had a better reputation and help to put Ocean city out of business, kind of funny ainÂ’t it.

As far as the Bronson goes I have seen them in baitcasterÂ’s but never seen one in a spincaster. Now if either one of you decide to get rid of those let me know please.

7. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Make me an offer and I will send it your way.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I've got alot of penn 109's and I love them for channel cats and stripers and I use them for blue's too but sometimes it can have a hard time reeling a big blue in....one over 30 lb or so. I just ordered 4 more penn 109's off of ebay....2 for me....and 2 for my dad for christmas.....got them for around $10 a piece too!

Take it easy, Zakk :)