Old popper flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by StuBone278, Feb 27, 2007.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well I have been going through small popper flies (balsa wood #8/#10 hooks) very fast lately. The bass are "gentle" with them, but the bream tear them apart after a good days use, and they are 2 bucks a piece!!! After all the "feathers" (like on a big bass popper's treble hook) have been ripped off the back the fish don't hit them anymore. What do I need to do to replace this, its hackle, right? I've never tied flies, but I want to know how to replace this as it will save me a lot of money for sure! Thanks.

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    .......anyone??

3. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    A few cheap tying tools like a vice, hackle pliers, and a bodkin would sure come in handy but if you dont tie flies a Leatherman, some super glue, black thread and a bag of craft feathers from Wally world will work fine. Take a walk through the fishing aisle and get a good look at a new popper and use that as a visual pattern. then go by your bag of feathers and head for the house.

Start by holding the hook with the pliers, if you can clamp them closed or stationary would be best, if not make a family member or friend hold them. Take a feather out of of the bag and look at the tip. gauge the length of the tip og the feather to be as long as the hook shank. strip some of the feather off the "stem" so it is bare and you have a clear place to attatch to your hook. Next, take the thread and make a few wrapsm around the hook shank. Starting by the head wrap down toward the bend ofthe hook. You dont have to go very far. 1/16 of an inch or so. Thisn will give you a good base. Leave the thread attatched. Hold the feather parallel with the shank placing the stripped stem of the feather on your base. with the other hand loosely make two or three wraps then pull the next few wraps a little tighter and so on until you feel the feather will stay. Finish with a couple of half hitches and seal the thread with super glue. Voila, back in business. For pictures of this process, try a flyfishing site like flyfisherman.com or maybe Fins n' feathers. Would be alot easier to explain if you was sittin beside my but i hope this helps,

Dru

4. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    you must know someone that ties flys.If not go to your local fly shop and get your self a cheep vice and a couple simple tools for tieing, ask the folks in the shop .Ask them to show you how to tis a woolybugger fly. get some hackel the color you like and some chennel and practice when you can tie a wooleybugger you can tie almost any fly .
    now you will be able to repair your poppers or with a couple of plugs cut from an old flipflop [shower shoe] you can make your own poppers
    I use all kinda stuff to make them.
    have fun crmule
    NOTE neet stuff in a craft store or in your wifes craft supplys [ask permission first if you like being married]

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's not that difficult; back in the 50s, before I was even a teenager, I carved my own poppers out of balsa and put maribou feathers, bucktail, and even rubber legs on them. And while maribou is great, don't hesitate to experiment with other feathers. The tip ends will generally work best where you want them to flare out quite a bit, close on the jerk, then flare out on the stop. For a smaller flare, trim the feather material off the lower part of the quill and use that.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    They do work great, those "poppers" I mean... I especially love to use them on a fly rod. This is a great piece of knowledge here on how to fix em up. Now I can fix my own now! Thank you!
    :big_smile: