Old Ponds under Monty

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sgniogs, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sgniogs

sgniogs New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Hey all-
    I hear there were several old ponds that were covered when Monty was made. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, is the fishing really better over the spot where these old ponds were? How can I find them?

FIRST POST

Thanks,
    SG

2. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Shane i don't know anything about the ponds but i wound like to welcome u to the boc

3. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have a mapping program that came on my lowrance unit from the factory. Lake monticello is on that program, it shows a few old ponds. I have checked to see if they are really there and they are. I have fished these ponds and had some luck, but I am sure they are awsome at the right time. Most of the old ponds are located within 100yds of shoreline. Im sure you could purchase a good map and locate all of them, I think my map program is made by fishing hot spots. Hope this is some help.

4. tigerman

tigerman New Member

State:
    lowcountry , sc
  5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Shane welcome to the BOC it,s a great site ,i know nuthing of the area u r asking about ,but i am willing to bet u will get some post that will be able to help u

6. sgniogs

sgniogs New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    thanks everone for the welcome and replies!

7. greenwoodfaithful

greenwoodfaithful New Member

State:
    south carolina
    True about the flooded ponds under Monticello. Asked a game Warden several years back and he confirmed that Monticello was purchased as old farm land and I believe he said they were five farm ponds that were flooded. He actually told me also that Monticello "sits" on top of a hill (know it sounds crazy) and he said a topo map proves it. It is higher than the relative land that sounds it. He also said that is why it stays so windy on Monitcello and anybody that fished this lake regularly know it can get treacherous. That same trip he asked us have we ever caught any white bass on Monty. We said we haven't but have caught SEVERAL yellow and perch (more than any other lake around the area) and he said he figured as much but he got several reports from fisherman that were catching them. He, as well as us, believes they fisherman were talking about white perch instead of white bass.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I hear there were several old ponds that were covered when Monty was made...."

There a six that I know of, and three of them are right along the old route where Hwy. 11 crossed the lake.

THEY STILL HAVE WATER IN THEM!!! :eek:oooh::crazy:

Most impoundments have features like this, and if shallow enough, they can provide some nice structure to fish at certain times of the year.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Shane! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2: