Old Polarcraft vs new Models

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Opelousasrob, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Opelousasrob

Opelousasrob New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just picked up a '95 16 Ft Polarcraft vjon with a '95 25 HP Tohatsu elec start. Looks & runs like a well made boat. Spoke to a local dealer that used to sell Polarcrafts and recently dropped them for welds spitting and warranty issues. Said the new boats wern't as good as some of the other welded Jons.

Godfrey marine bought Polarcraft in 2001. One owner said :wink:the old Polarcraft Jons were built like tanks and last with no problems.

Any experiences with the old & new ones ones you can share.

Thanks in advance.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I had a riveted Polarcraft 1448 back in the mid-80s, and before that, a 1236...both were good, sound boats.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have no clue bout the new ones but my first boat was a 1974 poler 14ft-that thing was uglier than sin and been thru the ringer then I got it and ran er thru again traded it fer the lowe I have now and it was sold to some amish for a pond or something-TANK oh yeah! Heavey well built.....

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    As soon as I sell my c.c 20-foot boat, i'm buying a 99 polarkraft eagle 16 from a buddy. I already have it and love it. it has a 50 hp and moves. plus its a hell of alot easier to use since i ussually fish alone.
    chip

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I have an old polarcraft. Its a 76 iirc. Its a 14' wide and deep and it is a tank. Its riveted and has no leaks. Had to replace the transom ,rot, but thats no big deal.
    I've no current plans of getting rid of it.
    hope this answers your questions
    just

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Not sure about the new ones, but my uncle has an older one. Its at least 20 years old and maybe older. Its been thru hell. I have personally witnessed it break inches of ice duck hunting, we hit a rock hard (frozen) marsh a little harder than we should have. Its been abused and really doesn't look bad at all, except for the paint that's been worn off from using it. Its outlasted at least one trailer, and at the rate things are going, it's gonna outlast another, cause the current one is starting to get a little rough. Such is the life of a trailer used in salt water.

7. Opelousasrob

Opelousasrob New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks. It caught some nice cats first trip last Sunday. Thats a good sign. But what about Tohatsu motors??? It has a 25 Elec start long shaft.. Not as strong or fast as my 98 Evinrude manual start 25 but it starts with the push of a button .:smile2:

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have a 1988 polarkraft Shadow. It has a merc. 35hp. I found it in an abandened house. So far it has only needed a couple little things done to it. I will have this boat for a long time to come.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So ok you get a little forgetful when you get older. Its a 1970.
    have a good one
    just