Old penn peerless

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bronco67, Sep 2, 2007.

1. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    anybody have any expirience with a penn 109 bought one for 10 in almost new condition but the handle doesnt disingage.

2. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Bronco67,

I have a Penn 109 and I love it. The handle does not disingage, oldtimes call them knuckle busters. I have mine loaded with 20 # test on a 9 ft rod, it will cast quite well.

Take Care,
    John

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Your 109 is working like it designed.Penn made them like that for a reason that I don't know what was.It probably won't cast as good as a 9 which is the same size but is a usable reel for bait fishing.
    Jake

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The Penn site with the details,including manuals for most models ::: www.pennparts.com ::: I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. aaron

aaron New Member

State:
    louisiana
    thanks for the link peewee i was lookin for some parts for my NO. 9
    just yesterday

aaron

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    After reading this post I forgot I had a No. 9 in the closet. Gonna clean it up tonight and use it this coming weekend. Thanks

7. catfisher50

catfisher50 New Member

State:
    minn
    i have 4 penn reels. and i buy any i can fine at yard sales. the best reels you can have.steve:roll_eyes:

8. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    thanx to all for the info. but i think i am going to find a #9 . or something that freespools .shame it seems in top shape .

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They were made to present a bait naturally.They work that way to do what a spinning reel with a reverse does.Old folk took a cast net or seine sinker(readily available) and a bead,threaded it on a line,tied on a swivel,a leader,a hook,a bait.The bead was to keep the large center hole in net sinkers from slipping down over the swivel.Many years later a Bass fisherman rigged a plastic worm up on something like this,hollered "Eureka"I have invented the carolina rig.Many fish wait on feed to be brought to them by current.People cast their sinkers where they wanted it and slowly reeled back wards letting the current carry their bait along and into ambush sights.You can slowly drift a bait or let the current carry a bait places you could never get to with a cast.Walk if you have to,but study the bottom of your river when it is low or the Tide is out.Look at all of the places that you can work a bait into this way.It was a early form of "Mooching reel" too.I loved my Aussie Alvey reels for this with their huge line capacity.you can also use this rig for distance in moving water.They are a very good tool for a purpose.I love you Brothers and sisters,peewee

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have a brown penn9 thats over 20years old,that i am going clean,put a new worm gear in,and a whole new drag system.

11. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just overhauled a Penn 9. A very good cleaning, new drag washers(Smooth Drag, good product and outstanding service). They are tricky to put back together, it helps to have 3 hands. A sweet reel, seems to be built like a brick outhouse.