Old Penn No. 85

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by rclark, Jun 1, 2009.

1. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello I'm wanting to know if anyone can fix a Penn no. 85 reel for me??

It's old , I bought at a sale and it worked, but I thought as long as it had been since being used I'd take it apart and clean and oil it.. I'm relatively new to fishing and boy did I screw up!! I can't get everything back together now.. I've searched for a schematic on the web and here but can find just about everything but a no. 85..

I would be willing to pay for the service and of course paying s&h both ways!!

Thanks Randy

2. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)

3. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ken this is showing all the right parts, I'll see if I can get it back together!!

Thanks Randy

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If u cant pm me and I know someone that can ....

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    if its anything like a 209 i will slap that bad boy back togather for ya thoes old Penns are not bad to work on

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Randy i looked it up its insides are just like my 209s if you have a prob with it let me know i will fix it for ya

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good info,,, I just got a few Penns, and had been thinkin about looking up a source for info and parts..
    Thanks,

8. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey guys, thanks for the info!! been out of town for a couple days and have to go to Upstate NY tomorrow so it will probably be the weekend before I can see if the schmatic that Ken found makes me smart enough to geet it back together!!
    But I may have to take one of you up on your offer!!

Thanks Randy

9. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Operating hints: Challenges will be the drag array, the spring for the anti-reverse dog, and the dog itself.

Note the 90 degree "notch" in the side plate. When the dog is placed on the fully threaded bridge screw*, you will see how the spring is "sandwiched" in the notch for the dog. A little grease will be your friend, holding the spring in position until the dog is placed.

The drag array can come undone on you, as you swing it into postion over the bridge screw places on the side plate. Once you get all the washers stacked in, and the little sleeve on top of the array, take a toothpick and jam it between the driveshaft and the sleeve.

The star will still wind on, so no worries. The toothpick will hold the stack together as you swing it into position. This saves the hassle of being a contortionist, or learning new words as the stack crumbles and spills washers on the bench.

*The two screws with hardly any threads straddle the two jack springs for the pinion yoke.

Hope this helps. rock on, kennie dee.