Old Motorguide Jr. wiring melted

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Redneck in a Skiboat, Jun 6, 2009.

  1. Redneck in a Skiboat

    Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

    Messages:
    200
    State:
    South Caro
    My 15 year old son has a 12' flat bottom with a Motorguide Jr. trolling motor. He has melted the wiring in the head twice. The wires from the battery are fine and the wires going to the motor are fine. Both switches are toast. I think he has ran it on high speed too long and melted it down. Anyone else had this problem? I'm going to try to find two switches and rig it to work. This thing is old as heck and parts are no longer availble. I'm also going to try to put some kind of curcuit breaker on it. It'll probally trip everytime he puts it on high but it should keep it from melting the wiring. The switches and breaker might cost more than the motor is worth. Any ideas? Toss it?
     
  2. roadkill636

    roadkill636 New Member

    Messages:
    551
    State:
    warrenton misso
    many of the older trollers are 6 volt, is it? a breaker will most likely be bypassed just a few times after being triped.. just my $.02
     

  3. Redneck in a Skiboat

    Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

    Messages:
    200
    State:
    South Caro
    It could be 6 volt that could explain the melted wiring. I'm not sure. It was on a 14' V bottom went I got it. I bought a bigger one and replaced it. My dad used to service Pumps in a sewage pond at a Textile mill, so it was rarely ever used. I got it back when my son got the boat. We've always used it on 12 Volt batteries. The cover has been painted to camoflage it so I can't see then writing on it. I'll try to most pictures latter maybe somebody has seen one of these and might have some info.
     
  4. fishinnut

    fishinnut New Member

    Messages:
    19
    State:
    S.C.
    I have the same setup in one of my 12 footers, works great, you just need to make sure the battery is fully charged (lower voltage = higher amperage) and the wire to the motor is at least a number ten (10 ga.), clip-on battery terminals are terrible and will cause you to set fire to something that pulls a lot of current like a trolling motor, or just disconnect the high speed wire and make him learn some patience:smile2:
     
  5. Redneck in a Skiboat

    Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

    Messages:
    200
    State:
    South Caro
    Yea I've been thinking about leaving the high speed disconnected, that is if I can find some switches to get it going again.