old mitchell reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dinkbuster1, Dec 25, 2005.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i inherited these reels when my great grandfather passed some time ago and am thinking about parting with them. any old reel collectors out there to tell me what their worth? the mitchells are in museum condition, no scratches or blemishes at all. only dust.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You may find the old 300 series Mitchell reels for sale on ebay, that will help you price them. I've seen them go for just a few dollars, they aren't uncommon. Yours may do better since it appears you have the boxes and printed materials.
    The reels were still being produced in the '70's. In the day, they were about the best out there, but were much more of a pain to use than modern spinning reels. I preferred the Penn spinning reels from that period.

3. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    nice collection of mitchells.
    the 302 is a common reel to be found on ebay, being left hand reel. most common of all spinning reels.
    the 301 isn't seen that much on ebay, being right handed. It may bring a few extra dollars

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    dinkbuster1 - I'll give you a hundred bucks for the two Mitchells. I collect Mitchell Reels ( over a hundred in my collection now). They are both fairly common but being in the excellent condition and with boxes definetly adds to their value. If your interested let me know, I'll mail a check - money order or whatever you prefer. It will cost about 10 bucks for shipping, I'll include that also. I want them for my collection, not to try and resale or anything like that.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    dinkbuster1 - I should mention that I do almost all my fishin' with the old mitchell's. Every catfish I caught this year was on a mitchell. I use the big ones like the 302 you have for Flatheads and the smaller sizes like the 300/301, 306/307 for Channels. If you want I can send you a photo of my collection to show that they would be goin' to a good home!

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i would like to see your collection. i wouldnt sell these unless they were going to be in a collection. i also used to use mitchells years back, they are a very sturdy reel. they were all i used until shimano revolutionized spinning reels with their "dyna-balace". once i owned one of them i sold all my mitchells exept for these two. you still cant beat their drag though.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    does anyone know anything about the ocean city? i would have used it years back but it doesnt have a level wind and ive never used one without. how does the line stay on straight?

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    dinkbuster1 - Here's the Mitchell collection. There's a good many more that are attached to rods that are not pictured but I figured these 3 photo's would show I indeed use and collect Mitchell's.

Attached Files:

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dang nice collection, drool drool drool------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- .

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man that is quite a collectoin you have. i had a collection of mitchells also that i sold back in 91, i have some of those chrome spools for the 300's too if your intirested, have 4 or five i think. i also have a freind who has a 409 and a 300 still in the box but i dont know if he wants to get rid of them. give me about a week and i'll let you know if i want to part with those reels ok? i might forget so if you dont hear from me p.m. me. i used to buy mitchell parts from some place in harrisburg pa. called tackle service i think.

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Pennsylvaniacatchaser, I have a collection of Mitchell reels about like yours. Have a big box of parts too. They sure are nice reels. You have a nice collection there.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    dinkbuster1 - sounds good, think it over and decide what you want to do, no rush. My very first spinning reel I got when I was about 7 years old was a Mitchell 309, I still have it and it sure has caught me a lot of fish. Since then I've been buying, collecting and using Mitchell reels. I just really enjoy the history behind the reels, the quality craftmanship and durability. I know the modern reels are smoother, cast further, etc.. but I'm sticking with the retro reels.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    BAM and Whistler - thanks for the kind words. Gotta love collecting fishin' stuff! Whistler, would you happen to have any 300 handles in your parts box that you would consider selling. I have a pair of 300's that are in good shape but need a handle. I've been looking on ebay but havn't found anyone selling just the used handles.

14. Whistler

State:
    TN
    I agree and newer reels for the most part and unless you want to spend lot's of money have a ton of plastic on them. Good thing about the old Mitchell's is they are all metal and and if needed, totally rebuildable if you have the parts and know how to do it. My primary catfishing reel is the 306. Not as big and bulky as a 302 and tough enough to handle the big ones. My personal best was caught on a 306 and an Ugly Stick Catfish rod. 47 lb.

15. Whistler

State:
    TN
    That's a hard part to get. LOL I'll take a look tomorrow in the garage and see what I got. If I do, I'll just mail it. I'll let you know. I have bought a couple of new handles at Bait Pro Shops for about 10 bucks, but their not quite the same. If it's for a working reel though, it works great. Gator makes them I believe.

Here is the link for them. You probably already know, but they do in a pinch.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=16523&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=4&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just gave a huge box of mitchell parts to a local reel repair shop last summer. i know there was a bunch of handles in there. im pretty cool with the reel repair guy and the next time im down there i'll ask them how much they'd sell 'em back to me for if your intirested. what type do you want, the short spring loaded, or the longer metal screw cap type? or you can call them..937-222-2224

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Those pictures sure brought back memories.I started with a 308 in 1958 or so and used Mitchells for ever.I still have several and though they are outdated by modern standards I still think the 300 and 308 are the sexiest and best looking spinning reels ever made.I can't count the tons of fish I hauled from the NC surf with my 302s.I even have one of them that had the automatic bail but it wasnt very good in actual use.The thing that made me nostalgic was seeing the spool container.I had forgotten those.Mine all rest in honorable retirement in the rod rack and I intend to have a 308 put in my casket.I heard there are lots of big smallmouths in heaven.Of course in hell they have them also but they just don't bite.Oh well I'll be prepared either way. :D PS Whistler if I go first be sure you send my son a spare bail spring to put in there with me ;)

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I would be happy with either type of handle - spring loaded or screw down type. I bought a lot of nine Mitchells awhile back and two of them were missing the handles. I didn't think they would be hard to find but...I'm hoping to find original parts. Anyone comes across a handle or several let me know, I would be happy to purchase them.
    Jim - Great post! I think I'll request a mitchell buried with me also! Your right, don't forget that extra bail spring!

19. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Dang Guys! I never thought I would be green with envy, but I am! That is a real nice collection of Mitchells.