Old Michell 300 spinning reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfish chris, May 11, 2007.

1. catfish chris

catfish chris New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello everyone. I have an old michell 300 spinning reel that is in perfect shape i've had since i was a kid. I was wondering how this would be for catfishing it seems pretty rugged. just wondering thanks.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chris,

I have about 35 of these reels. And quite a few of their bigger brothers. They are very good all around reels and parts are readily available for them if you need them. I've caught bluegills on them and I've caught 35 lb Chinook Salmon on them. Though the salmon was a heck of a fight. They'll handle an awful lot, but I'd use them for fish under 20 lbs for the most part. They are definately good reels and you won't be disappointed in how versatile they are. Keep it clean and oiled and it will last a lifetime.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    It will catch anything you care to.Many on here still use them and WHISTLER collects them.I might not want to tangle with a 50 lb blue but have caught them up to 20 without breaking anything.:lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive got some that i have retired that have cought 100 plus lb.sharks.they still work.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got one too that I've been preserving for nostalgia. Y'all are making me want to put it back into action!

6. catfish chris

catfish chris New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the fast replies I have an abu 6500 on a 7ft. st.croix catfish pole, and was going to buy a new one along those lines but the reel is just sitting on the shelf and thought maybe i'll just get a new pole and use that. I fish one the rock river here in illinois and the fish i usually catch are under 25#s and i kinda like using it because i've had it so long thanks again guys. That was my first post im glad i found this site!!!

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think it is worth fishing with.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Oh I forgot welcome to the BOC, Chris.

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree they are a great reel, my dad stands by them.

10. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have had many 300 ' s and i love them. my uncle buys and sels them for like 25 a pop . i think he gets. people beg him for them. they will buy 10 at a time . i recently switched to newer stuff. but i will always use my 300's love them

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm a dedicated Mitchell man! I have about 150 in my arsenal. The 300 is for small to medium size fish. You will want to go with the 306(406) or 302(402) to tangle with larger size fish. These reels are readily available on Ebay.

12. catfish chris

catfish chris New Member

State:
    Illinois
    .thanks everyone:big_smile:

13. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    The Mitchell is one of my all time favorites.
    Have been fishing with them for over fourty years.
    I still have several here at home.
    Take care of them and they will last a life time.
    I still buy one at the flea market every once in a while.

How many should a man have?