Old lock 8 at Calion

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by whisker maniac, Sep 19, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The wife and I drove down to the old lock 8 this evening to see if the water had gone down enough to get to the launch area so we could go back in the morning and fish there.

I was told that the river was going down fast.

It is ten miles down a gravel road to get to the launch area on the old river there.

We only made it six miles. The river was over the road bad six miles in. We had to turn around and come back.

No fishing tomorrow. Any where else that is close to us isn't any good producing any good fish.

2. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    sorry to hear that whisker, maybe the ar will get right before tar camp

3. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Gonna try to get over to Tar camp this weekend. If I do then I will give a full report!

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    A friend of mine that used to live in Eldorado fished at Calion a lot. He said it was a long ways in there but the fishin was good. I've never been there myself (a little too far away). What is Tar camp ?

5. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Tar Camp is on the Arkansas River up close to Pine Bluff.

6. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    catdaddy - Tar Camp is on the Arkansas River, Pool 5, just above Lock and Dam #5. We are having a fish and camp there the first weekend of October(3,4,5). Come on up and join us! Thereare a limited amounts of sites available. There is a large group from Texas that has all of one area reserved and that area is just about the whole campground!

But if ya wanna come up and camp then let me know! We can find a spot for ya!

7. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    here are some pics of the old lock 8 area.

Attached Files:

8. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    looks like anice place to fish Kevn. Gonna have to hook up with ya sometime and see what we can hook into!!

9. CntryCrazy

CntryCrazy New Member

State:
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Tar Camp is a great place to fish. A lot of territory but very good. Especially around the dam and below

10. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    In the 2nd picture , was that where the locks used to be ? If so , how deep is the water there ? Looks like a very good place to fish.