Old Live Well Holes

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by dominoman, Oct 29, 2007.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Got a 17' aluminum Blue Fin that has the old live well holes in the back, below the waterline. Looking for suggestions on how to seal them off, in the refurb. it won't have a permanent live well installed. Will a piece of aluminum plate, inside and out with sealer on it, bolted thru be sufficient? Been looking around for some type fitting that would just screw in, not having much luck. Holes are 1-1/8" and 1" diameter.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have seen people put drain plug in there on the inside, then use marine sealant and caulk on the outside.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's how I'd be inclined to do it, but I'd still expect a little bit of seepage no matter what you do short of welding something over the hole...

I'll bet MarkJ has a good idea for you...

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i would have someone weld it up for you. Won't cost much and you have piece of mind... which for me is worth alot.

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Well took a long shot, made gaskets for both in and outside plates, covered them with 3M sealant, bolted them with SS bolts and locking nuts. Took it to the lake yesterday for it's initial voyage, and had no leaks. Seems that I forgot that it had rained over the past few weeks, when I backed down the ramp, water started collecting in the rear. Pumped it out and after 2 hours on the water, there was maybe a pint of water in the rear. For a 20 year old riveted boat, if that's all the leak there is, I think I can live with that. Downside, didn't catch any fish, maybe next weekend will be better.

6. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I put some silicone sealant in the hole then hammered a slightly oversize rubber stopper in it, and cut off the bit that was sticking out of the hull. No leaks.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I managed to have a bad encounter with a rock with the first boat I ever bought. Fixed it with two aluminum plates, caulk, and pop rivets. One extra thing I did was to hammer all the pop rivets down flat, using a small hammer and a backing weight.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In my opinion the only fix and forget solution to aluminum boats is a good welding shop. Otherwise you're going to always wonder and keep an eye on it.

I've never been real fond of aluminum boats other then small jon boats for small water.
    Part of the reason being that your average owner doesnt have the skills or equipment to work with aluminum should a repair be necessary and the average owner isnt willing to pay to have it professionally repaired because of cost.