Old Line

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rhuffman, May 3, 2009.

1. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    I have a lot of spools of line I've had for a few years laying around. Does line go bad? I also have some problems with mono that has memory. Is there a way to get the memory out? A local bait shop told me just line it tighter. Dosen't seem to help.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Monofilament certainly does go bad pretty quickly, especially if exposed to UV rays. (sunlight) The memory always drove me crazy too. I ditched the mono and switched to Power Pro super braid and I will never look back!

Bill in SC

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

As far as the line is concerned,how did you store the line? If you stored it in a cool dark place out of the sunlight and heat,it should be okay.When your spooling some line on your reels and you notice a white powdery residue coming off your line,then that lines probaly degraded enough to where you probaly want to go with new line.I use braided line on all my cat reels,it,s more expensive,but it won,t degrade on you.:eek:oooh:

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    You could also test the line to see if it's still good. Tie it to your scale and see if it's lost any of its strength. Products like Reel Magic do a good job of reducing line memory, and I think they make the line on your reels last longer.

5. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    There is a great thread about this over in the fishing line review section. Like I said over there, I change mine out very frequently and I don't use old line. I don't keep it long enough to get old. lol

6. freakyfish

freakyfish New Member

State:
    florida
    Yes! Line can go bad and get brittle.Try to keep it in the freezer.Try power pro it is nice.It will last along time. Try to use KVD line conditioner it may help your line.

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Mono line is not that expensive. Toss all the old stuff and buy some good name brand line for your reels. The cheaper lines are usually the ones with the most memory. The cheaper it is the faster it degrades. One of my big reels that I spooled up with 60lb from a huge spool at the local bait shop last summer gave me a problem this summer. I usually respool at the beginning of every season but hadn't done it yet. I was tightening my knots and broke it with my hand. Spooled of 30 yards or so and started again... same thing. Time for new line for sure. Put on Big Game. I use braid like these guys mentioned but not exclusively. The Big rig is basically a tuna stick so I keep mono on it so I get that stretch. I use braid on my flexible poles.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Okay I have a big peen trolling reel , i tried to cast spider wire but it won't work it tangles up so I had to switch to mono. What's the problem with spider wire on these big reels and why wont it cast?

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'd toss it. Those guys are right. Switch to braided. I will be next year.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I used to have a Penn,I think it was about a 30 series casting reel.I always used braid on it.When your putting on the braid,I pack it on under as much tension as I can.