old kids rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by dinkbuster1, Jan 26, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    freind of mine came into posession of this gun. was wonderin if anyone on here knew anything about it as far as value. neither of us know jack about guns. this is whats written on the gun......Stevens Maynard JR., J. Stevens-A+T Co., Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A. sorry, quality of pics arent the greatest.

Attached Files:

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I don't know too much about the history of guns, but i can tell you that Stevens is made by Savage Arms, which is a good quality gun.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That's a Stevens before they got involved with Savage.

Nice old gun. Looking forward to seeing more posts from people that might know about it.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Check out this site. I saw a rifle there that looks similar to yours, selling for 995.00

http://gun-quest.com/

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh yeah i forgot to say it is a .22

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Can't recall what the name was but it was a very popular kids gun and might have some collecters value depending on condition.Little Scout or Chipmunk I think it was.

7. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    There is alot of info on that gun also known as #15 maynard Jr, Little scout has a longer barrel.Neet gun sorry don't know what it is worth.a little web searching and you will find out.;)

8. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Stevens Maynard JR - Unknown - 22-long Rifle - About 20 To 24 Inches - Blue - unknown -
    it is a lever action single shot 22 has half octagon barrel. the rifle has no bolts or screws it is placed together with brass brads. I would like to know the manufacture date of this rifle. This rifle was made in chicorie falls if this helps.

Answer:
    Bryan, the Stevens Company introduced the Maynard Jr. (No. 15 rifle) in 1900 using the Maynard design which they owed the patent rights to. The Maynard Jr. was a 22 rimfire rifle with an 18 inch part round/part octagon barrel, and blued finish. Early models have a butt stock made from a flat board with the edges slightly rounded off. Later models (manufactured after in April, 1906) have a regular oval type of stock. The Maynard Jr. was an economy model in the Stevens line, very simply designed and cheaply constructed. During it's entire production life, retail prices remained at $3.00. Stevens manufactured the Maynard Jr. from 1900 to about 1912, if your rifle has the flat stock it was manufactured between 1900 and 1906, if it has a rounded stock, it was manufactured between 1906 and 1912. Marc

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no its not rusted, its in really good shape! looks rusted in the pics but its not. the stock is rounded also i think. i dont think he wants to sell it but he might have to, he's not allowed to own a gun because he commited some felonies in the past. i havent really had time to look it up on the web.

10. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    dink if at all possible have him keep the gun. I have a stevens 1893 16ga shotgun. itisn't the prettiest gun by a long shot but it has to be the sweetest shooting shotgun i have ever wrapped my hands around. i wish i could run across a lot more of the old stevens guns. you may also want to try the savage arms web site and see if that can help you out at all.

11. miner

miner New Member

State:
    Sulligent, Alabama
    On the value depends on how much original finish is left and what the bore looks like.