Old Jugs on the river

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Kelmar, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
    What are the laws or maybe accepted practices for fishing out old and abandoned jugs out of the river and throwing then away? Where I fish there are always faded, slimey, snaged up jugs littering the river. I don't want to be accused of messin with others jugs, but the trash needs to go.

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I'm not sure either Mark, but I am like you, I fish the darn things out and carry them to the trash when they are in that shape. I jug fish some but alway pick them up and I guess some people don't.
    Bill

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You want to be very careful about picking up those old jugs. Back when I trotlined regularly, I'd have several lines out, each in a particular spot, and they would be there from June till September. If I had a jug attached, it stayed there for those 4 months. Needless to say, both the lines and the jugs got pretty funky. But I ran them every day, so it was perfectly legal for me to have them there that long.
    I'd send an e-mail to your Fish & Game Department asking them if you're allowed to pick up old jugs & such, and what procedure you should follow to avoid problems with the owners. Keep a copy of their reply with you when on the river, so if anyone calls you on it, you can show it to them.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wouldn't it have been nice if I could have just deleted this rather than having to type in some horse manure for y'all to read?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bixby, Oklahoma hmmmmmmm, tht means you operate under the same laws that I do.... wherein it is illegal for you to remove someones jug, new or old... makes no difference. Your legal recourse is to notify your game wardens as to when and where... The ones I've reported have been gone within a week. Here is a link you can use to report them directly to the Department of Wildlife.

askwarden@odwc.state.ok.us

Your gonna have other brothers come on and tell you that they dispose of them, no matter what the law says. They just won't tell you if they get cited for a fish and game violation.

It is illegal.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I would most definately contact the game warden. Although, it is also illegal to have juglines, limblines, trot lines, and yo yo's in the water without the owners name and address on them and all must be checked at least once every 24 hours.

8. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We have taken care of this on our lake before. If it is not marked you can do what you want with it. If it is marked, inform a game warden that the jugs are there and no one is attending to them. If a jug (trotline, limblime, etc..) is not checked within 24 hours it will result in a hefty little fine by the time court costs are thrown on. We cleaned out the back of our lake this way.