Old Johnson shift lever

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Graham, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've just bought a boat, trailer and outboard off a friend whose family had bought but never used. It's an old 1968 aluminum boat with a Johnson FD-21R 20hp motor.
    The motor has a separate forward/neutral/reverse shift control, but I have noticed that the actual lever is missing. This is the one you grab hold of, not the upright actuating lever.
    Does anyone have a picture of one of these motors that I can study to fabricate a new lever. I could just make one to actually do the job, but I'd like to make it as close to original as possible.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Graham. We have a few good boat motor guys on here. I am sure one of them will be along to help you soon.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Graham Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I can't help you with your question, but someone will be along with an answer.:0a25::0a22::0a22:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Is this a tiller style or remote steer?

5. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    It's a tiller style. It has a vertical lever on the side of the motor with a keyhole type hole on it. Then there is a similar keyhole on the bar at the front of the motor. Also on the side is what looks like a place for a mounting bracket to run the lever through.

6. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Welcome Graham, BubbaCat can fix u up!

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
  8. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Josh, I have that piece, but isn't there supposed to be a 'handle' that fits into that turnkey hole? So you don't have to reach all the way back to put it into gear. Just forward of that lever, there is a bracket with a threaded hole and a location pimple. I imagined that the lever I'm thinking of would fit to the shift lever in your photo and then run through a bearing bolted to that bracket.
    Thanks for the advice on the website. I'll check them out.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That would be what you would hook your shifting cable to if you were going to run it with a remote control side steer

Josh if you need old parts like that check with me I have quit a few older omc parts.

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    willard, thanks but I'm trying to keep my addiction in check. I'm getting to the point that I need to sell something if I get something new.

11. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks guys, for all your advice. I see the reasoning behind it all now. I may just make something anyway to save me having to reach back to change gear and because I'm lazy.:roll_eyes:

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Graham I'll look on one of my old motors and see if they had something like that and if it has You are welcome to it. I'll get back to yea in a couple days.

13. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Bubbakat - you don'r have any shifter control boxes for a Johnson hydro-electric starts laying around there do you?

14. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Wow, thanks Bubbakat!
    This is my winter project to get it ready for the spring and hit the catfish hard next year. That and a new prop are the only jobs to do on the motor. The rest will be rigging the boat with lights, depth finder and all the ropes.
    I've definitely found the right site to get all this done.