old hickory

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cumberlandcat, Dec 31, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went out to old hickory today about 7 am and found a few holes, I haven't fished the lake much but we caught a few 15 to 18lbers in the morning and then about 12 I found some structure I wanted to fish and put out 8 lines and within 5 mins, every rod was going, we had fish laying around the boat and lines everywhere, it was non stop for about 30 mins, then the wind picked up and they shut off completely. We caught, well I lost count at about 15 but there were some huge channels they were 15 or 20 pounds one after another. I haven't ever caught any that big before, but over all it was a good time being that I have always came home skunked when I fish old hickory.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on the catch, will try to hook up with you soon.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    AH .....Yes Good OLd Hickory ROCKS. Congratulations on your fine catches.

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks for the report Chris. Sounds like you got some promising new honey holes.

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris,
    Congrats on a great catch, what a fun way to end the year, hope 2008 will be great for you .Thanks for sharing.
    Paul

6. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Way to go Chris!
    I have been telling you Old Hick can be pretty good.
    Keep us posted
    Hopefully I will get on the water soon myself.
    Hunting season is almost over.
    I can't wait for the winter fishing to start up again.
    What was the water level like?

7. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    It's at 445 which is summer and winter pool where it should be but the current is weak, but that changes daily. I am going to try again this week it's 17 out right now with a wind and if its windy at the house it's nasty on the lake so I am going to wait for this cold front to leave. Do you live by the lake?

8. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yea I here Ya, a little to cold for me too!
    I live in Bellevue Tn
    I will be needing a roof in a year or two, and will definitely get a hold of you.
    I'm in the Flooring Business

9. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    I hit old hickory again today for about 7 hours, caught tons of channels from 1 to 8lbs. Also caught my PB for old hickory lake 22lbs 10oz. Pretty good for old hick. Had a few channels around 15lbs. It was an awesome day to be on the lake. I have always used big bait half or whole skip jack but I have been using little 1 inch cubes and have had good amounts of fish coming in but i am wondering if I should stick to larger baits, I am going to do a little more fishing with both size baits and see what is best on old hick.

10. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    "Congrats" on your personal best Chris
    Sounds like you are nailing the Old Hickory Cats
    Ya never know a record fish might be in there.
    Keep it up so you can show me a few good spots:big_smile:

11. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Chris..congratulations on the fine channel catting and on your personal best. I would try some bigger baits, it surely can't hurt anything. But don't give up on whats working now. There are some monster cats in Old Hickory Lake. I sure do miss that body of water. Thanks for keeping us posted.:big_smile:

12. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Chris, I was asking myself the same question about large vs. smaller baits until I started catching 1-3lb channels on palm sized bream the other day. I'd say stick with 4-8" baits and you can catch just about anything. Congrats on your catch.

13. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know over the last few years when I hated old hick and caught nothing is when I was using huge baits but I will try it, I just need to learn the lake a little more. I can't figure it out yesterday I fished about 8 or 10 holes with good structure and I caught little guys on everything except the last whole and that happened last week too, its fun but I would like to try and find a bunch of holes that I can target the bigger blues. TOW I guess. Well I will keep ya all posted on the lake.

14. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Chris....what area of Old Hickory are you fishing. If you know where Cairo boat ramp is.... there is some really good spots up river from there. Some really deep water near some bluffs and across from the bluffs is an island with a flat that extends off the north end. This area has always produced Monsters. If you have a boat ..... the possibilities are limitless. Let us know how it goes. :eek:oooh:

15. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    Fished old hick today, when we got there a fog came in and I left the ramp with about a mile to the first hole so we took it easy for about 20 mins thinking I was about to my hole and I looked up and what the crap there was the boat ramp, wow never had anything like that happen b4. I have a good sense of direction but I couldn't believe that we drove for 20 mins and ended up at the ramp again kinda scary so we fished fished in front of the ramp for a while and caught a few channels and blues. After the fog cleared boy we must have caught over 50 channels from 1lb to 9.8 lbs and biggest blue of the day was only 16.10lbs but it was fun I just wish I find the blues seems to be 20 channels to every blue.

16. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm heading to the Gal. steam plant in the morning. Need some skips.
    See if the strips are biting, hopefully some monster cats after that.

17. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    How did you do at the steam plant? I was thinking about going in a few days I kinda need some skips too let me know how they are running.

18. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I'd like to know where to get the skips right now too. They haven't been around the places I go. Nashville's a bit of a haul for me, and cumberland city's even farther. If I do go up that way I'd like to make sure they're in. Do I need to take my boat or can I get them from shore?

19. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    I heard they are a little thin right now but I am sure they will be in soon

20. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    that is a great catch but Bam aint getting my fishing buddy lol