Old Hickory

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tangell88, Aug 16, 2009.

1. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    anyone doing any good on old hickory lately? weve been going out the last couple of weeks and catching a few but not the numbers ive been hoping for.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats the water i fish all the time.. havent caught a catfish in id say gettin close to a year.. how big are the catches youve had lately been?

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Haven't had any luck @ Old Hick this year...Where ya been fishing??

4. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    we usually fish around bluegrass or cairo. weve caught plenty of smaller ones but probably only 4 or 5 over 10lbs this year

5. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Are ya'll targeting big fish??Are ya fishing out a boat??At least your catching something..Fished last night on old hick from 5-2 and got skunked..

6. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yea were tryin to catch some bigger ones out of a boat.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Tyler. Never fished ol hick but will have to check it out one of these days. Good luck

8. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I went last week,fish with live blue gills and cut tenn tarpons(skips), off the bank near schutes til midnight. Did not get a bite.

9. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Last night was pretty bad. Good company though made it worthwhile.

10. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Jeff, we were going to go to Gallatin last night, but had a major plumbing malfunction!:angry: Maybe next weekend!:roll_eyes:

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its been several years since I fished Old Hickory. I used to live in Gallatin and spent over 25 years fishing Old Hickory Lake. I see you have been fishing near cairo....have you tried up river from there a mile or two? There is a big long island known as cunninghams island and it has produced some monster fish in the past. Find the sand bar on the up river end of the island and fish live baits and cut baits near the flat-channel drop. Good Luck!:wink:

Also, fish at night in the summer on Old Hickory. October has been a really productive time for me on Old Hickory Lake.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't been on old hick in a couple of months but I have probably caught over a thousand cats outa that lake this year easy, I fish from the upper side of the dam in hendersonville to 10 miles up from cario. But i must say that in the heat like this I dont try much it's too hot and the bite can be slow but old hick is an awesome place to catch lots of cats but it takes a lot of time on the water. About three years a go I would go out 3 and 4 and sometimes even 5 times a week and fished hard every chance I had and after a while you start learning there behavor and where they are going to be. I pretty much only fish with skips once in a while fresh shad. Hope this helps

13. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Glad to see I'm not alone in my struggles. I have had very little luck on Old Hickory recently. I was able to go out on Saturday with Les and Jeff and had a great time hanging out, but only managed to catch 2 turtles and a bluegill. I am thinking it has to be weather related and this is just an off time of year. From what I've read, it looks like it should pick back up in September and October as the water temperature cools back down a bit.

On a positive note, I have still been having decent luck down below the dam on OH. No monsters, but several in the 10lb range over the last few weeks. The bite seems to always come just as the sun goes down and seems to continue well into dark. We tried in the morning and caught a few bass early, then nothing after 9am or so as the sun moved up.

14. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I think in this heat of Summer the cats have gone deep and have spread out..And Thanks Ross for telling me about that spot and hanging out.You too Jeff thanks I enjoyed your company..It may be better in that area when the temps. start to fall in a few months..I'm wanting to continue scouting some different places..Not sure if I'll get to go this weekend though..Gotta take the family to the fair an Saturday but hopefully I can get out on Sunday..

15. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I may hit the dam during the day saturday. But that'll be about it. The old lady is complaining. She wanted to know the girl's name I went fishing with.:angry:

16. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Lol, tell her she was kinda masculine, really hairy, and smelled like fish and bugspray and that she should not worry!!

Jk, I hear ya, I got the feeling that I was nearing the wraith of not spending weekend evenings with the mrs. I have invited her out, but to no avail. Good luck if you make it out on Saturday.

17. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Guys the trick to getting your wife to fish with you is to take out and let her catch a nice fish then tell her it is bigger than your personal best. This will make her head swell to the size of a small mellon. Then you go out and catch one bigger. She will be chomping at the bit to top you again. I mean it worked for me. LOL

Seriously I hope the fishing improves for you all. I'm lucky to have a few spots that seem to be productive even in the heat. One of them has been passed over by many people cause it doesn't look like it should hold fish, but when you look at the bottom structure it paints a different picture. Look at the structure around outside bends and see if you can't locate a depth transition to fish. That worked the last time my main spot didn't produce.

18. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Well I went catfishing on OH yesterday eve and caught fish. Changed my bait to shiners that I bought from Flippers and had a decent response. Caught one flatty, 2 stripers, and 2 decent largemouths. Best luck I have had in a while. No monsters but these are perfect for the frying pan. Pics on the way. Fished the steam plant in my boat close to coles ferry.

19. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    See if these pics go through. No monsters but perfect pan frying size.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      13.8 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  20. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    WTG John..Those are some nice fish..Yeah I've been catching some shiners along with them creek chubs down by the creek here lately but I haven't been keeping them alive cause my pump broke down..Maybe I should try keeping some live ones and trying them out next time..