Old Hickory Rocks!

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by john catfish young, Dec 15, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Old Hickory stripers (Rockfish) as we call them are fattening up now and readily taking live and cut skipjacks. If you get the chance during December and January...you really ought to give it a try. Stay away from all the other boaters and fish at night when 90 % of all other fishermen are gone. This is when you will catch that trophy of a lifetime.....Good luck you guys. Below is a few pictures of a couple good ones caught on Old Hickory lake. The 1 photo is of me and a freind with a pair weighing 28 and 32 lbs. The second photo is of a friend with a 50.3 lb'er and the last photo is me with a 37 lb'er. All caught at night on skipjacks!:cool2:

Attached Files:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Man those are some PIGS!!!!

3. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    What part of OH was yall on?The fish look great bet they really put up a fight dont they.

4. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    man, thems some huge stipers!

5. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Heres a picture of my son with one of his recent catches....a 22 lb'er caught on a 6" white swim shad.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

6. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Man I wish I was able to catch something like that.Shucks I would mess all over myself and my son.I got up in there and got some shad and skips.Just need to figure out where and how to use them.And then be able to land something like that in my boat.Congrats on the big catch.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like I have been saying I will be down there after deer season is over.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hoping to go down in the spring I wouldn't mind getting one like that . Are they any good to eat or the smaller ones ? Never caught them before just some dink whites .

9. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Lance...Stripers are great tasting. Just be sure to cut off "all" the red-meat when cleaning them. Then you will have some great tasting nuggets of the purest white protein....Stripers taste good at any size....but the 10 lbs and under are the best as far as being tender and juicy. I havent been able to get after them like I would like to...but I'm healing up slowly and surely and There are plenty of them around, so you guys will just have to catch my slack for a while...OK?....John:wink:

10. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Same here!
    Nice Pics John.
    Huge suckers

11. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Just wanted to let ya'll know that the skippies are pretty thick right now below the Old Hickory dam, in case you're looking for skips elsewhere from the steamplant. I went fishing there today and was using a chartreuse twistertail jig, caught one on almost every cast. They were so thick in some spots that I was snagging some by accident. Don't know if the weather was just right for them or what.

I could see quite a few large fish busting the surface in the middle of the river out of my reach. Wouldn't be surprised if there stripes there right now. I saw some spots on the bank with large white scales (bout the size of a dime) on the ground, which I assume are from stripes caught by other fishermen.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I clean all red meat out of all the fish I keep thanks for the advice . Glad you are healing up !

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Were you in a boat, I am coming home from a trip tomorrow and would love to be able to walk down there and catch a few.

14. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Actually, no I wasn't. I was fishing from the bank on the Rockland Recreation area side of the river, directly across from the boat ramp. Let me know how you do, if you do go.

15. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I went there yesterday aftrnoon below Old Hick dam in my boat. Caught a few skips from the boat across from the boat ramp. The guys on the bank were catching a ton of them. I took what we had and drifted for a while. The guys on the bank kept all they were catching and gave them to us. By the end of the afternoon we left with the live well full of skips. Gotta find room next to the ice cream (LOL)to store all these skips. Yes they are catching skips below oldhickdam on the hendersonville side down next to the feeder creek. Seems like the best time was later in the afternoon.
    There were boats up next to the dam using light tackle assuming the were fishing for sauger or walleye.
    Any ideas for the best way to freeze these skips. Cutemup in bait size chunks and store in ziplock bags? or wrap in freezer paper whole.?Any special type of freezer paper needed?

16. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Glad you caught some skips cattracker. Yeah the skipjack was pretty close to the shoreline, maybe only like 10 feet out from the bank. Good to hear they're still pretty active there. Might have to go back Friday and catch some myself. As far as storing them, I have no idea, never done it myself!

17. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like to wrap each skip jack in saran wrap and then put as many as I can in a zip lock bag. That way you can take out what you need and leave the rest frozen. Skips will thaw and refreeze once most of the time, but it doesn't take long for them to get mushy on the second round.

18. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    This is good advice here!!:wink:

19. skbrilo

skbrilo Member

State:
    Nashville, TN
    Yesterday... I went to Cumberland City and caught 50 or so in two hours. I vacuum seal my Skipjacks (whole) using our FoodSaver. It works great.(pat dry the skips before putting in the bags) If you go the Foodsaver route buy the rolls and not the bags. Using the rolls you can customize the size of your bags.(which is important if you catch some big ones because they don't fit in the smaller standard bags) I may drive down to Old Hickory today to see if I can find some. Its a lot closer for me than C.City.

20. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Heres a couple more Stripers which fell victim to the tempting tasty morsel of Skipjack!!! The biggest one weighed 32 lbs pictured with my son.:wink:

Attached Files: