Old Hickory Lake

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TennesseeJugger, Oct 23, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    My Brother is in from Arizona and wants to go jugging, going to take him out Sunday Night to Old Hickory. It may get a little chilly. Jugging is not allowed in Arizona.

2. festus

festus New Member

Good Luck, Jugger. I hear Arizona has some strange laws. Don't you have to buy another license to fish with a second rod?

3. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    Good luck to ya! Let us know how yall did

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Good luck Jugger. Be sure and gives us a report on the fishing.

5. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Good luck Don, I hope you and your brother catch enough to swamp the boat! ((:)crazy:)))

6. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    boy if that were the case i would go broke just buying license for all of my rods, i like tenn more everyday:big_smile:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Boats everywhere!!!!! Prefishing for a bass tournament this weekend. Put in at Flippers. UUGGGHHH

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Flippers usually stays crowded yearround.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to dislike launching at flippers. It is always too crowded. Have you tried the ramp on steamplant road? Its very close to the skimmer wall....or the cairo ramp? A couple good options.

10. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Yeah. I might try there next time. I like flippers because its lit up at night and usually plenty of parking. Fish near the Steam Plant and caught 2 Walleye or Sauger(not sure what they were) on live shiners and 1 channel on cut bait.

11. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Fish on the skimmer wall for skips and caught 1-20inch and 1-24inch striper using combo 2inch curly tails. Also caught a few skips for the freezer. Right before dark. That has been a fairly productive spot. I dont catch freezer fulls but I usually catch a few everytime I go. Anyone that needs bait this an option for ya.
    Just in case I dont post anything next week..

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  12. festus

festus New Member

John, is Gallatin Steam Plant generating this winter? Glad to hear you caught the stripers, they're starting to really pick up in East TN lately.

13. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I have not been up in the discharge side much at all. Went there about 3 weeks ago and they were generating, also saw fish on the radar. Fished for skips for about 30 min and did not catch anything. I think the water was too warm. If we would of stayed longer we might have caught some fish. The skimmer wall is on the intake side and thats where I caught the stripers and the skips. They are usually not in big numbers. I am hoping to go out this week sometime and try for bait at the plant. Mabey this weather is driving them up in there. Will let you know...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  14. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yeah you do and i wish we could trout line to. we can buy them in the store just dont get cought with it in the water

15. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Some genious inbehind a desk cost tax payers a ton of money to come up with them smarts.:angry:

16. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    What is this skimmer wall that you all are talking about?

17. festus

festus New Member

I used to work at Kingston Steam Plant and I'll tell ya what little I know. A skimmer wall is a dam, solid at the top, and open at the bottom. It's the plant's intake. Water is drawn off the bottom because it's cooler. They are awesome places to fish, if you can hit them at the right time. Sometimes they'll hold fish that are unheard of in other parts of the lake. Such as brown and rainbow trout. The skimmer wall pulls a lot of cold water, so there's plenty of current.

18. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    The skimmer wall was put in place to prevent floating debris from entering into the steam plant. If you look on google earth you will notice a discharge side, where everyone fishes in the winter, of the OH steam plant and also an intake side. When the plant is generating heavy, water is pulled from the lake through the intake side and with that comes the large trees/logs and floating debris. The wall keeps all that stuff from entering the plant. There is usaully decent current behind the wall. Right now there is not any current because the generation schedule is very low. I guess because of the warm weather and also the water levels are very low.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  19. festus

festus New Member

Yep, that's one point I left out of my explanation, it does "skim" the water and keep trash out. And it also brings cool water into the plant.

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They are excellent places to fish. I once caught a 4 lb Rainbow trout off of the Gallatin Steamplants skimmer wall.....dangling a small jig. Its the only one I ever caught. I have caught loads of skipjacks and "BIG " fish near this wall.....and off this wall. The cooler water is just the ticket!!!!! A good strong current most of the time.:wink: