old hickory dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by master_cat, Apr 23, 2008.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    can u catch blues below old hicory dam and if so how to u do it

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am sure there are a few in there but I have yet to see one, and I go down there a lot. Your better off fishing the lake in my opinion. I would use skip jack or fresh shad.

3. Folion

Folion New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I have just started fishing under the dam there. I have been told there is cats under there. last time i was there i seen a dude catch a nice panfish cat. I got a very small cat. then i got a really big hit that almost took my pole over the side into the water. I am going to pull a allday trip down there and see what happens, i'll let yall know how it goes.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    IF you are going to fish below the dam I would suggest going down to the last parking lot on the end and if possible cross the creek and you can walk down to the bend in the river and set up on the bank. There aren't as many snags down there but it still has good current and makes for a better place to set up for a while rather than breaking your back on those rocks.

5. Folion

Folion New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i should have checked the forums before i left yesterday morning lol :( .

Well it was slow down there. i used fresh skip jack and set up nere the lock. I ended up with 3 channel cats 2 of them about 10 pounds and 1, 15 pounds. and a small blue cat about 6 pounds. the water is running 20,000 cfs give or take. the skip jack fishing is so so down there right now. they have really slowed down a lot. but the ones you do get are mega big for skip jack. there are also tuns of gizzard shad down there right now.
    well i hope this helps

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There are some good fish in the Cumberland river below Old Hickory Dam. Also some big cats and big Stripers too. We used to go down from the dam a pretty good ways and tear-em up!!:crazy:

7. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've caught a couple small ones down there, but I wasn't fishing for big ones at the time. Was using livers trying to catch some channels. I've seen some good size ones (30-50's) being pulled from there.