Old Hickory dam

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cumberlandcat, Jan 26, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was thinkin about fishing the upper side of the old hickory dam for some bigger fish. I have not heard any feed back on fishing top sides of dams. I am trying to figure out if it is worth a try. It is 30 to 90 feet deep but wondering if the under current being so strong is going to have a bad affect on fishing it .Any input on upper sides of dams would be appreciated .

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Is this gonna be one of those post where 459 people look at it and not a one say a darn thing, but then they reply to the stupidist post that refers to a question that has been asked about catching skip jack 19 times in the last year.

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont know either but atleast ill reply. I am going tomarrow above pickwick dam because i havrnt had any luck below the dam. May be different than your spot but I havent noticed any strong under currents on Pickwick. I have more problems with the wind being so strong coming across that large of an area with nothing to stop it.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks . I guess now tha tI think of it the wind is pretty rough out there too.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been thinking the same thing, fishing above the dam that is.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Works great here at Pickwick. WE catch a lot of fish there, And theres some nice ones caught out from the where the water is pulled in for the turbine's.
    So it should work there also.
    Buck fish it like Phil was fishing that day we were in the lake.
    Pete

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pete, either that or drifting or both. I need to get some fresh bait soon, most of what I have has freezer burn, Hopefully I can get some fresh at the steamplant soon.

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i have never fished close above the dam. i was always afraid i would catch that volkswagon and he would eat my boat. lol. actually i never fish in cold weather. in the sping and summer there is so much traffic near the dam. good luck.

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll give it a try,

10. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Well Im going to jump in on this thread. I have fished several times above Wheeler Dam in the winter. I think it is the best place if you are fishing Dams in the winter. Jan/Feb I looked for some pix to post but can't find them right now. In Jan my son and I filled our 64 quart cooler with eaters. I have a friend that caught a 40lb blue above the dam. I think anywhere you can get bait fish and a a litte warmer water, you will find blues. The other thing is make sure you stay back when they are generating. We usually find a good anchor point and cast to the dam. You will get hung up alot if you get too close to the Dam, you know all the trees, VWs and the like. Im hoping to go somewhere next weekend. This thing called working for a living gets in the way. See ya

Craig

11. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Above the dam sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm going to give it a shot on Ft. Loudon soon.